Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xenoss

xenoss

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:50 AM

Hi, I am new here. Please direct me to the correct area to ask my question, or if you can answer it, please do. Much thanks to everyone here.

I found out after I ran combofix that I am NOT supposed to just run it blindly "over the counter". I certainly was not directed by anyone to use it. I was simply reading up on some virus removal posts similar to my own problem and I ran it, not knowing better.

My computer restarted fine and I am here posting about this after I read up on a little bit more and became a bit concerned. My problem, if one could call it that, is this:

I had no space left on my computer, about 900mb left before I ran combofix. After the reboot and combofix finishing its business, I free up to a 17GB of drive space. Is this supposed to happen? I dont know what sort of virus there are out there that takes up some 16GB, or if there are things combofix does (like erasing temp files or something)? Is this normal at all?

It doesnt help that I read some posts that says there is a problem with the rootkit combofix is using and that it deleted system critical files and such. I am a bit concerned as to what happened.

Thanks.

(Moderator edit: moved topic to more appropriate forum and changed Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 24 December 2007 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 07:50 PM

As you now know, running ComboFix is not recommended unless specifically directed to do so. Its a power tool!

You were dangerously low on hard drive space.
Does the system boot & run ok at this point?

Not sure if ComboFix deletes the restore points and cleans out the tem & temp internet files. I have only ran it once in a desperate situation.
If it does, that could easily account for the space difference.

BTW did it fix your problem? Just curious.

Edited by Eyesee, 24 December 2007 - 07:51 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

I only read that I am not supposed to run it unadviced AFTER I did it; which is why I am a little concerned.

The strange thing is that I've always had system restore turned off, and I doubt I have 16GB of temp data stored. I cannot account for the 16GB combofix brought, which is why I am a little worried that perhaps some stuff got deleted without my knowing.

I dont really have a problem besides not being able to account for the 16GB I recovered. My PC is running, and I did not notice any negative side effects for the time being.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Yes I read that on your post.

If everything works I wouldnt worry about it!

You never answered if ComboFix fixed your original issue or not

You might want to scandisk and defrag the hard drive.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 xenoss

xenoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:49 AM

My original issue was AVG detecting some sort of virus called Generic6.AAOY or something like that; as well as a bunch of other things like "Lop", whatever that it. And after reading some forum postings from different places i caught the fact that some fixes require uninstalling some malware using add/remove program. I ran add/remove just to make sure I am in the clear but then I found this thing called "Outerinfo" on the program list, which I have never heard of.

Long story shorter, ran combofix and that thing is gone now. Along with the viral dll that i located on my own, as well as some I didnt locate. aside from that, all seems fixed.

I havent done a scandisk yet though so i dont know for certain if everything is up to speed. But generally speaking, combofix was like a miracle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users