Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EMPIRE EARTH! OMG!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:53 PM

Every one go here
http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/empireearth2/mo...fo_6119217.html

Get it... EE2 DEMO!!!! I think im going to have a heart attack at the age of 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:12 PM

We would not want you to die at such a tender age!
The graphics look very good, but I hope the gameplay has not been nerfed. So many great games have been revised so the graphical iterface is wonderful, but then the game play has been simplified to the point of boredom.
Let me know how the demo plays.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:54 PM

Well its actually alot more complicated, I am somewhat peeved however that they changed the gameplay so much, that I am not familiar with anything, even the hotkeys have changed, and they also grouped the buidlings into different categories....I hate that, I want it all spread out on a list, its a lot less clicks and hot-key pushing.

One thing that I am really happy that they put in however, is Bridges...first rts game I have played that has em, and its pretty good.
Another Thing I kinda hate, is they added a new rescource, saltpeter.
Also the game relies alot more heavily on stone, so now it is madetory to get if you want to build an empire (which makes sense), but for some reason no matter how many people I was putting on stone, it felt like I was gaining stone at 1 unit every 10 minutes.

Another thing which set EE apart from the other RTS, is that houses are now required for pop-cap, this to me doesnt make sense, because I never thought of EE being nation against nation (mainly on Multiplayer), but as base/city against base/city. So that is something else added to the mix adds to the requirements of building.

No where in the demo (This better change when the real version comes out) did it allow you to build a custom civilization, and if it isnt included (which I think it will be, just not in the demo), then EE2 would be digging itself a grave. However even in the preset civilizations, I did not see the specail civilization bonuses--(Just in time manufacturing, Expansionism, Markets, etc.)

The Citizen Manager was somewhat usefull..I was thinking more that it could switch between a percentage basis to a Number basis. Wather than just numbers, click to put a citzen on that resources, right click to take it off. I was also hoping that it would order the citizens to build a Workshop (workshop is what used to be a settlement), right next to or at least near the resource. Rather than having them run miles back and forth to the mines and the nearest workshop or, capital (Capitals also have a different name, I forget what). Also I would have thought that they would make a much bettter AI than they did, my citizens, which were ordered throught the citizen manager, where running all they way across the map to get food. I think they should limit it to what is in in your territories, and if want them to mine elsewhere then you should do that manually.
It seemed that I could not build workshops adjacent to any rescource that is not in my territory, which as well peeves me off.

Also, something that peeves me off is they got rid of graneries....you can still build (build....) Crops....you just have to go and order your citizens to build workshops near by.

The War Planner, I figured this was going to be the neatest part of EE2, well....it was not what I expected. All it does is allows you to right on the map, and send your plans to your allies, and see if they agree or not....there is no sychronization, no automation....just taking a pencil and drawing on a map.
Which Is stil pretty o.k, I guess, but when plaing Multiplayer, you would still have a lot of explaining to do, on what units to use, which armies to send, weather its an air raid, when to do it, the ammount of time after you attack, and so on and so forth.

I cannot critique on the PIP (Picture-In-Picture) because I have not yet got around to using it, and really dont know how to use it.

I would have liked to seen a Tutorial incluced with the demo, so you can get a head start for your multiplayer dominance.

I hope to see Statistics for the people who Multiplay, which was something I always hoped they would implement in EE and AOC.

The Graphics do like much nicer, but even on my new comp, I set them all to the lowest level, so I dont lag as much. When I think of good RTS Games, Graphics usually is not a factor for me, and in this case, having these nicer graphics is going to end up with tons of people from the orignal EE to upgrade thier machines.

All in all I think Mad-Doc and Sierra shouldla came out with some more expansion packs for EE, to use as a mass testing ground to see what works and what doesnt. I also think that they went to Mainstream with EE2, its only differenet from the rest because it has a War Planner, Citizen Manager, and PIP. Other than that it seems to be just like any Epoching RTS out there (other than WarCraft 1-3). In fact they even renamed and reorderd some of the epochs, to the other games...
The Epochs Are
  • Stone-Yes they got rid of Prehistoric...which is fine by me because it was...well before history
  • Copper- No change
  • Bronze- No change
  • Iron- They managed to squeeze in another age
  • Dark- No change
  • Middle Ages- No change
  • Renaissance- No change
  • Imperial- No change
  • Enlightment- This reminds me...Rise of Nations had this Epoch as well (I always thought that it was called Enlightenment....but it seems EE2
    says different
  • Industrial- No Change
  • Modern- Hey they skipped a few ages!?!?...no...just seemed necessary to EE2 to make WWI Modern
  • Atomic- No...not the Future, just WWII
  • Digital- Fianlly, a futuristic epoch....wrong again...its equivilent to Original EE's Atomic-Modern
  • Genetic - Couldnt tell you what this is...it seems like a combination of Original EE's Atomic-Modern and Digital Epochs
  • Synthetic- Couldnt tell you for sure what this is either, it seems like Original EE's Digital age....
Yes that is....They cut the Nano Age, and the Space age.....and if you look at the ages in real life...you would say where in the Digital age and Genetic age.
The Space age is fine by me, that its been cut...the planets looked cheesy any way....more like cliffs with a bottemless pit, but I know alot of you will be peed about that.
I really would have perfered EE2 keep to its roots....rather than play off an already popular title to get an instant fanbase and some $$$, but there will be some who think other wise.
I would soo be playing EE AOC, right now if there were not so much cheaters. (and if it worked on my new comp, I tired to get help by reading other forums of people who have the same problem. Some people said that EE's .exe file was really badly written.)

BTY, if you dont want to deal with registrating for EE2 and such, here is a link to download it directly form Sierra:

Any way...I went on longer thatn I thought I would, I hope my review helps, but dont let it discourage you to get the EE2 Demo and try it out for yourself.
DEMO

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:57 PM

Yeah you didnt hear about it in one of these threads earlier?

Let me say im on dial up but when I read they were making it and had a demo I went crazy! I love that game its great! I went and downloaded on my slow dial up a 182.1mb demo and that demo is great! Only took about 10 hours to download thats all.....

Im going to buy this game. They did kinda mess with the way you make and do things but its easy after a hour to learn how to play it.

Way to go on the best war game of 2005!

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for your review. I normally only play to the Industrial Age with my friends. And EE is wrong, it is the one and only ENLIGHTENMENT. I will miss the prehistoric age, though. I hope you can still direct your citizens manually, instead of letting some AI do it, because AI usually does stupid things, as you said.
I suppose I will have to buy it when it comes out, unless there are no custom civilisations.
Thanks again, I am sending your review to my EE friends.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 The Trip

The Trip
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:19 AM

Hey...what is ur username on EE, and/or EE AOC

I used to play EE AOC lots, but I quite because people started cheating on a much larger scale....not even like hacker cheating just using stoopid glitches, like putting your cybers behind a closed wall, and then attack you from thier base.

My Username on EE AOC was **US-Marines**Civilizationist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users