Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HJT logs - suzzio

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 suzzio

suzzio

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hi bleeping computer folks!

I have an old computer (Windows 98) but it still works very well until this infection
of CoolWebSearch that I have been trying to clear for 2 weeks. I have relearned everything
I once knew about DOS in the process! I would simply like the satisfaction now of cleaning
the infection without needing to reformat the harddrive, if that's possible!

I have been running an updated Norton AntiVirus 2005 and scan once a week. The day they
announced a major security flaw was the day I noticed my computer had been infiltrated.

I have since downloaded and installed and run countless times ZoneAlarm, SpyBot, Ad-Aware,
and SpySweeper which removed the majority of the malware. The one left seems to be
CSW_NS3 which keeps reinstalling itself and has now corrupted Ad-Aware (doesn't load now,
even after uninstalling and reinstalling), SpyBot (hangs in the middle of a scan) and NAV
(turns my activated program into an expired trial version, among other things... now it won't
load.)! I also had a Yahoo antispy toolbar, which I removed because it was extremely hijacked.

I looked up CSW_NS3 and found your website. I followed the directions and all went
excellently until the end. I tried to close explorer.exe with the ctrl-alt-del close program so
that I could run About:Buster, but Explorer would close just for a moment, then reopen itself.
About Buster wouldn't scan anything, just sat idle.

So I'm at a loss. Help please. I'm running in safe mode all the time now, with Netscape 4.78!
I'm scared of IE now, and the hijacker wouldn't let me open a link to firefox, it's that bad. (I'm
getting a Mac Mini next week, but it would just be satisfying to defeat this after all the time
I've spent!)

Here's my HiJackThis Log... (I have installed the SpySweeper shield of my IE homepage, which
shows up in the R0 lines. When I highlight and fix the trusted zone O15 items, they reinsert
themselves right away and show up in an immediate next scan.)

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:14:55 PM, on 2/25/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v5.51 SP2 (5.51.4807.2300)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WEBROOT\SPY SWEEPER\SPYSWEEPER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETSCAPE\COMMUNICATOR\PROGRAM\NETSCAPE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SPYSWEEPER.EXE" /0
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Share in Hello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Share in H&ello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.frame.crazywinnings.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.blazefind.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.slotch.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.xxxtoolbar.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.static.topconverting.com (HKLM)
O15 - Trusted IP range: 206.161.125.149
O15 - Trusted IP range: 206.161.124.130 (HKLM)
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/SharedCon...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/SharedCon...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.ofoto.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:36 PM

Download the attached zip file and unzip it to your desktop.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf

Right-click on the deldomains.inf file and select 'Install'

Download cwshredder 2.12 from here:

http://cwshredder.net/bin/CWShredder.exe

Run the file after it is downloaded and click on the fix button. Let it do its thing and when its done, even if it crashes.

When its done run hijackthis again post a new log

#3 suzzio

suzzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:11 PM

Thank you Grinler! I did what you suggested. It went fine. CWShredder
completed its thing, but found nothing. Actually, I've used CWShredder
several times in the attempts to clean the computer and uninstalled/redownloaded/reinstalled it several times, but after perhaps the first time I ran it, it's never found any CWS infections, but the infection remained -- browser would still be hijacked, pop-ups still came. SpySweeper was the only program that found the CWS_NS3 infection. It would clean it out, but then the
problems would reappear on reboot.

Here is the HJT log now:

Scan saved at 5:17:12 PM, on 2/28/05

Running processes:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SPYSWEEPER.EXE" /0
O4 - HKCU\..\RunServices: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SPYSWEEPER.EXE" /0
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Share in Hello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Share in H&ello - {B13B4423-2647-4cfc-A4B3-C7D56CB83487} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\HELLO\PICASACAPTURE.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O16 - DPF: {C2FCEF52-ACE9-11D3-BEBD-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec RuFSI Registry Information Class) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/SharedCon...n/bin/cabsa.cab
O16 - DPF: {2BC66F54-93A8-11D3-BEB6-00105AA9B6AE} (Symantec AntiVirus scanner) - http://security.symantec.com/SSC/SharedCon...bin/AvSniff.cab
O16 - DPF: {6F750200-1362-4815-A476-88533DE61D0C} (Ofoto Upload Manager Class) - http://www.ofoto.com/downloads/BUM/BUM_WIN_IE_1/axofupld.cab

Edited by suzzio, 28 February 2005 - 09:55 PM.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 11:42 PM

Log looks clean...great job!

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:
  • Disable and Enable System Restore. - If you are using Windows ME or XP then you should disable and reenable system restore to make sure there are no infected files found in a restore point.

You can find instructions on how to enable and reenable system restore here:

Managing Windows Millenium System Restore

or

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Renable system restore with instructions from tutorial above

• Delete Temp Files

Please do this step in safe mode!

To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others. If you had trouble deleting a file, reboot into Safe Mode and follow this step again. You should now be able to delete all the files.

• Delete Temporary Internet Files

Please do this step in safe mode!

Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.

• Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

• Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

• Commercial Spyware Removal/Protection Programs - If you feel more comfortable installing a commercial Spyware removal program then we recommend WebRoot's Spysweeper or Lavasoft's Ad-Aware Professional. There are many commercial products on the market, but unfortunately most are misleading and substandard. Both of the products we recommend here are proven to be excellent products and a worthy addition to the arsenal of software protecting your computer.

Spysweeper Product Information
    Ad-Aware Pro Production Information

• Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
      • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
      • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
      • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
      • Change the Installation of desktop items to Prompt
      • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
      • Change the Navigate sub-frames across different domains to Prompt
      • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
      • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
  • Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

• Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.

• Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

• Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.

• Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

• Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.
Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.

#5 suzzio

suzzio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:26 PM

thank you again Grinler...

I went through and cleanly uninstalled SpyBot and AdAware and ZoneAlarm and Norton AntiVirus, then downloaded fresh installers from the sites you link to, then reinstalled SpyBot, AdAware and Zone Alarm (waiting to do Norton later). I also downloaded and installed SpywareBlaster.

Spyware Blaster and ZoneAlarm both installed fine, as far as I can tell.

SpyBot and AdAware, however, seem to install fine, but when I close them, then go to open them again, they don't work. AdAware just appears as an item in the system tray at the bottom of the screen, but when I click on it, there's no program popping up. The close program (ctrl-alt-del) tells me it's not responding.

SpyBot didn't install the first time -- a message in German appeared... Expandieren des Speicher-Stream wegen Speichermangel nicht moglich...
but when I uninstalled and reinstalled in Safe Mode, it did install. However, now it won't open ... an endless cascade of empty error messages.

This program appears in the list when I do ctrl-alt-del: E_s4i2h1 ... suspicious?

The HiJackThis log still appears to be clean, though (below)

Also, my display screen is in 256 mode and isn't relaunching to normal resolution... perhaps I deleted something I needed.

If you can help sort this out, I would most appreciate it!!! Thank you very much for your help already.

Scan saved at 8:31:55 PM, on 3/1/05

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2H1.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\OUTLOOK EXPRESS\MSIMN.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Matrox Control Center] C:\Program Files\Matrox MGA PowerDesk\mgactrl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Matrox Color Control] C:\Program Files\Matrox MGA PowerDesk\Color\hgcctl95.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\E_S4I2H1.EXE /P30 "EPSON Stylus Photo R200 Series" /O7 "EPUSB1:" /M "Stylus Photo R200"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Matrox QuickDesk] C:\Program Files\Matrox MGA PowerDesk\QDesk\mgaqdesk.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2005 - 10:10 AM

E_s4i2h1 i think is your epson printer driver. There is nothing wrong with this log. Uninstall the two programs, change your display resolution in the control panel to the higher colors, reboot and install them again. Dont think this should make a difference...but you never know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users