Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stored Files On Cds

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 janetlee

janetlee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:33 AM

I wasn't 100% sure where to post this question, so forgive me if it's in the wrong forum! I took my pc checked over and to have it cleaned out at Best Buy by the Geek Squad. They wanted BIG money to do a system recovery, but told me it was something I could do myself if I had backups of my saved files. Being that I had over 240 songs downloaded to my pc, I certainly didn't want to lose them and the only way I knew to save my songs was to burn them to CDs. Of course, I only get a small number of songs per CD and he was trying to tell me how to get a LOT of songs on just one CD. He even said I could save my photos and text documents to CD along with the songs on the same CDs. Frankly, I paid him $20 to go ahead and do it right there and then in around 15 minutes. He got all my music, photos, and text files on just 2 CDs...now here's MY problem: HOW do I get the music and other stuff onto my pc now??? When I put the one CD into the pc, it shows all my songs, but I don't have a clue as to how to transfer them to the windows media player. And on top of that, I don't know how to save my pix and text files in their respective places either...I know I'm an idiot, but I have never had to deal with sort of thing before and certainly no pc lessons!
PLEASE SOMEONE HAVE PITY ON ME! :thumbsup:
JL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:19 AM

You can send the songs directly to your media player, however when you want to listen to them, the cd will have to be in the drive. If it isn't, you'll get a message telling you the player cannot find the file.

Create a folder for your music. Put the cd in the tray, when you see the names of the files, all you have to do is click on the file to highlight it. Since you have a lot of music files, you can hold down the ctrl and a keys at the same time to highlight all of them.

After they are highlighted, on the left side of the page, you should see a menu which includes something to the effect of move or copy. Choose copy-send them to your newly created music folder.
Once they are all copied over, you can import them into your player.

Do the same thing for your pictures and other files.

Think about buying an external hard drive which you can use to back up your folders and files.
It's a lot easier to use this method than it is to use multiple cd's.

#3 janetlee

janetlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:57 AM

I am sooooooooo confused!!! I did what you said and there was both a "send" and a "copy" on the menu, so i did both. When I click on one of my songs and look at it's "properties", it says it's a "read-only" file. Does that mean there's no actual music there??
Also, when I tried to get windows media player to import the songs from the "new folder" I made with my songs supposedly on it (as you told me to do), it doesn't find any music files on my pc anywhere!
I did manage to get a message that said that windows doesn't recognize the program these files were made from. It tells me to search web where I can find and purchase what I need to use these files, which appear to be M4A files...it took me to this website: http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/results....mp;WT.mc_id=m4a
I'm also bummed because even though the guy on the ggek squad at Best Buy said he'd burned ALL my music, photos, and text files to CDs, I'm missing about 70-80 songs and I didn't find any of my text files! I did get my photos at least.
Can you help me out here with these problems/questions? I am an ignoramus with computers and what I know, I've mostly learned on my own by trial and error and asking a LOT of questions!
Thanks so much!
janet

Edited by janetlee, 25 December 2007 - 12:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users