Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media Player 11

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FIASCOBRO40

FIASCOBRO40

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 12:55 AM

I am currently running Vista Home Premium and have had no problem up till now (besides the normal Vista BS). I keep getting an error message,

C00D11B1, "Windows Media Player encountered a

problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help". The "web help" in question refers to potential audio driver updates. I updated all audio and

video drivers...no help. Then I dug deeper and this code was referenced: #80040241, "The source filter for this file could not be loaded". I have used RegCure, run the

comprehensive "error check" function, all to avail. The only common demoninator I can think of is that I recently updated IE to version 7, or whatever is the latest.

Could this be the problem? This is starting to royally pi$$ me off, and even though this is a new computer, I am seriously thinking of donating it to the Salvation Army

and purchasing a Mac. This system is an HP Pavillion or whatever, model #m8000n, and is a multi-media system with a lot of bells and whistles. Any help would be

appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and Merry Christmas!
When a true genius appears in the world,
you may know him by this sign, that the dunces
are all in confederacy against him.
-Jonathan Swift-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:14 AM

Have you tried playing the file in an alternative player? If it won't play in something like VLC, there may be a problem with the file itself. If you are using Vista with IE, it is automatically version 7 at install. An update might have damaged how the software reads the video.

VLC Link

3939.png

#3 FIASCOBRO40

FIASCOBRO40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I did as you suggested and video files WILL play in both Nero and Media Player Classic, so I have no earthly idea what is wrong with Windows Media Player. I have tried updating it, but I get a message that it is the latest version, and it is not possible to repair it with an earlier version, so I guess I will just start using Media Player Classic.
Thanks again for the quick response, DJBPace07, and Merry Christmas to you!
-Jonathan Swift-

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

I have the same problem with certain files in WMP11. Some files will play normally, others won't at all, and some will play but using seek will crash the program. I think mine has something to do with codecs.

3939.png

#5 FIASCOBRO40

FIASCOBRO40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 11:47 PM

This is a real recent problem. In retrospect, WPM has been acting weird for a couple of weeks prior to this total meltdown. Several minutes into a movie (video file), the video would become jerky and freeze for a couple of seconds. The audio would not be affected. This would last for a couple of minutes, then the video would go into fast forward until it caught up with the audio. It would then play normally for the duration of the movie. This happened every time I watched a movie from a movie file, regardless of the format. It would sometimes occur within the first few minutes, then began to occur later in the movie. Then one day I tried to watch a movie and got the aforementioned error message. This is very frustrating because this system is only a few months old.
-Jonathan Swift-

#6 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi, what tpe of videos are you trying to view? What happens if you try a DVD? Or does it happen with every video?
MCP
MSDST

#7 FIASCOBRO40

FIASCOBRO40
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hello Monty007, good question. I just tried a variety of movies and it seems to play everything except AVI format files. DVD's play just fine. I did not realize how many video files I had that were AVI files. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
Thanks in advance!
-Jonathan Swift-

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

You will need Divx and also ac3filter.
http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/download/...:20071227212733

http://ac3filter.net/project/1/releases

I have had some drama with the Divx codec on my Vista machine, when you download and install it only select the codec to install as it will then play through WM 11.
If the codec does not work PM me and I have a older codec that does work fine.
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users