Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrJim2

MrJim2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:44 PM

What are "scripts"? I read where if I don't let the computer on overnight certain scripts won't "run". I use disc utilities that run daily/weekly/monthly "scripts" but no real clue what it's about~sounds important though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Script
Also known as: Batch File, shell script

Computer code that is contained in a file and can be directly executed to run a sequence of commands on the computer as if it was a program. The difference between this and a binary executable is that it does not have to be compiled in order to execute it.

BC Glossary

Which means they automate repetitive tasks.

These links may help you along In apple scripts are called AppleScript.

AppleScript, the language of automation.

Scripting Mac OS X

This virtual site is a collaborative effort to provide a starting point for information on Macintosh scripting.
ScriptWeb

Hope this was helpful

Edited by boopme, 24 December 2007 - 08:41 PM.
Spelling Edit

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

Are you asking about the maintenance scripts that Mac OS X automatically runs during the night? They will only run when the Mac is on during the time the scripts are supposed to run.
Running the Mac OS X maintenance scripts

Edited by Buddyme2, 24 December 2007 - 10:36 PM.

#4 MrJim2

MrJim2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:48 AM

Ah that makes sense~I'd ditched OnyX because it wasn't Leopard compatible (though i see there is a beta) so I found Cocktail~so now I'm back to manually running scripts in case they get missed. "Scripts" is an interesting term for these maintenance schedules.

And thanks for the links

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

You're welcome from both of us !!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users