Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smilies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Specman

Specman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:41 PM

Hi all
This is my first post to the board, but I have to admit I have been lurking a while. Great stuff. Anyway, here is my question. Seems dumb but I just cannot figure it out. I have been to several sites that offer free smilies like the ones offered here. All the instructions are the same. Right click on the description/copy/paste. All I get is the target or description, not the smilie picture :thumbsup:
I thought that if I copied to an e-mail and sent it that the smilie would show up. It didnt. (grasping at straws)
So what am I doing wrong? Help a dummy out
Thanks
Jim

PS: O/S is 2000Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

So you see a smiley here. You right click on it, and click on copy. Then you open up a mail message and right click on it and click on paste. You see the smiley image in the message but when you send it, the recipient does not see it?

Do they get the image as an attachment?

#3 Specman

Specman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Thanks Grinley
After reading your post I realized what I was doing wrong. I was copying the script not the image. duuuuh
I downloaded the program from Smiley Central and it works well. However I went out to several other sites and they have many more smilies. I can right click and copy, no problem and as long as I paste them into an e-mail they antimate just fine. If I put them in Word the image appears but no animation. Does that mean that each time I want to use one of these I have to go online and copy and paste. I was hoping to develop a library of the ones I like that I could go to anytime. Similar to the ones that are on this board. How do they develp this selections that we see here?
Thanks

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:28 PM

I was hoping to develop a library of the ones I like that I could go to anytime.

That's easy to do. Create a folder in My Documents and/or My Pictures and name it something like GIFS. Paste any smilies you like into that folder and they will be handy when you want to copy and paste into an email or message board. Don't know why it won't animate in Word.

I would strongly advise that you get rid of Smiley Central. When you install it the MyWay toolbar (which they call Speedbar) comes along with it plus other Fun Web Products like Cursor Mania and PopSwatter that you didn't ask for. There are several reasons to get rid of it that I could go into further if you like, but the main point is that it is unnecessary if all you want is the smilies. And the program is invasive and known to cause performance problems. See this page for an example:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/web/2003/1208web2.html

If you want to keep the Smiley Central smilies, go to the MyWay (or whatever it is called) folder in the Program Files directory. Look for a subdirectory that contains the animated GIF's. Copy and paste those into the library you want to make and they'll be there for the asking without having Smiley Cental installed.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Great tips Papa!. I got my smilies from packs that were designed for this message board software.

#6 Specman

Specman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2004 - 12:14 AM

Thanks Guys
I will get rid of smilie central. I only did it because I thought it was the only way to get the smilies.
Great tips, thanks for the advice

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users