Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Rocks!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:01 PM

Today (2/25/05) I got Roadrunner, and I got to say... its faster than what i expected, it only took me like 3 minutes to download 15MB of a new free anti-virus. This is so awsome...

So who else here has cable? I don't think I could ever go back to dial-up!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:07 PM

Wish I could get it and pay for it for that matter. Im lucked out on both cases. I have a 50k connection now over my old 28k connection so I browse fast enough.

Hope all works well with you and your cable. Maybe one day we will be able to get it and pay for it.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

best of luck...

yea... like my dad said, when this generation (our generation; kids who are like 12-18 now) when we end up having kids, they will be asking "dad what is a cable connection?" "What is a Gigabyte?" "I can't believe you only had 250Gigabyte Hard Drives!!!" lmao

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 06:59 PM

Your Dad is probably right. In the future I would imagine everyone will use satellite.

I've had cable for a couple of years now and I love it. Might have had it go down twice for an hour in that time. My service is 3MB down and 362K up. Find that to be more than enough. My ISP has a deal right now where if you buy the modem for $99 you can get 5MB down but I don't really need it. My package gives me free modem rental included for about $40 a month.

One advantage that DSL has (at least in my area) is that you can have up to 10 hours of dialup per month included. This is great if you are away from home or if the DSL goes down. The speeds are roughly the same.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Your Dad is probably right. In the future I would imagine everyone will use satellite.

I've had cable for a couple of years now and I love it. Might have had it go down twice for an hour in that time. My service is 3MB down and 362K up. Find that to be more than enough. My ISP has a deal right now where if you buy the modem for $99 you can get 5MB down but I don't really need it. My package gives me free modem rental included for about $40 a month.

One advantage that DSL has (at least in my area) is that you can have up to 10 hours of dialup per month included. This is great if you are away from home or if the DSL goes down. The speeds are roughly the same.

speeds are the same between your dial-up and DSL????? wow your dsl must be slow.

but yea i just did a speed test and my cable comes out at like 3.9MegaBites! :thumbsup:

even tho the package for RR says its maximum speed is 5, who cares this is a hell of a lot better than dial-up. :flowers:

i don't think i could go back to dial-up...

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:12 PM

Unfortunately, since I live in a large metropolitan area, the instability of cable speeds preclude it as a real option, so I use DSL. In either case, the extra money spent is more than worth it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:14 PM

Now have cable, but retain painful memories of dial-up....like several hours on Napster trying to grab a song only to have the fellow on the other end pull the plug at about the 90% point. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:23 PM

Cable internet, well really broadband in general, seems to be the way to go. I know that I will never go back to dial-up!!
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:31 PM

Arent you all lucky! These people at my place there at the end of my road with the cables but im unsure if they will continue because the flags stop!

I am now downloading as I speak the biggest download on Dial up I have ever taken on!
Its 181.2mb!
It will take around 11 hours to complete so overnight tonight should do it.

It may be well worth it but it wont make any money for me. So it isnt like it pays for itself other than keeping the phone free and doing more in less time. The only problem is I have used cable and DSL but I own dial-up so im aggravated.

You all are so lucky!

#10 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 08:33 PM

Arent you all lucky! These people at my place there at the end of my road with the cables but im unsure if they will continue because the flags stop!

I am now downloading as I speak the biggest download on Dial up I have ever taken on!
Its 181.2mb!
It will take around 11 hours to complete so overnight tonight should do it.

It may be well worth it but it wont make any money for me. So it isnt like it pays for itself other than keeping the phone free and doing more in less time. The only problem is I have used cable and DSL but I own dial-up so im aggravated.

You all are so lucky!

you think that is a big download for dial-up, the biggest download i've ever done on dial-up was like 255MB and it was Windows Service Pack 2 the full version (i needed this version cause i have a minturture home network, and i only had dial-up at the time, so i thought this was the easist idea)

it got to the point where i had to use a p2p program so i could resume the download

Edited by yanowhiz, 28 February 2005 - 08:34 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:44 PM

Hi ya'll.
I have been on cable since '98 as a beta . First year and a haft was free . Now I pay $55/mo. but it has been worth every penny . I am now on @ 5meg/768kb . Now we have VOIP (internet telephone) and they provide you a modem . We also get 20 hours of dialup . It's suppose to be when the cable is down , but I use it at the fire station with my notebook .
I'm beaming a signal to my paw-in-law 3 blocks away . Boy was he tickled after using America Offline for 5 years .
My bigest gripe with this huge pipe is the download sites restrict your download speed . I downloaded Fedora (Red Hat) and was limited to 325kbs .
Has anyone signed up for the 256kb/256kb for $25 Cox is offering ? I wanted to get it for Mom ( She is not close enough to beam a signal ) but was not sure of the quailty . She is on Netzero at a painfully slow 26.6k . She live in an oooold part of town .
F.Y.I. After 3 months with VOIP I will never go back to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users