Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Uninstall True Image 11 From My New Xp Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

I just put a fresh install of XP on a new laptop and installed my firewall (ZA 6.5.737) and a/v and a/s (AVG Free) and bought Acronis True Image 11.

Naturally, I assumed I needed to install the program to do a full copy/backup of the hard drive -- so that's what I did. Then I discovered that you can boot from the cd, so that's how I made my backup.

However, I had already installed the program and I now notice that it has services that run automatically and also items in the msconfig/startup.

I don't plan on using this program other than to make occasional full copy back-ups of my OS/hardrive (complete), which I can do from the cd itself.

I am concerned that this other services and startup items are going to eventually cause me problems.

I found uninstall instructions here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.ph...amp;postcount=4

...but it's fairly complicated! :thumbsup:

1. Should I uninstall the program as described in that link?

2a.
Should I just leave it on (and let those services and startup items run)?

2b.
Will doing so cause any problems? (I don't want it to start asking me to back up or something -- and I have no idea if it's doing stuff on its own. There are services running after all...)

Note: Don't know if it matters, but I have only installed this program, ZA, and the two AVG ones at this point. Nothing else.

Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

:flowers:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop with Acronis on it - and it's not needed there...BUT!!!

Try to boot from the CD and see if you can access the device that the image is stored on. With the Toshiba, the Acronis boot disk won't load in normal mode - so I was forced to load it in Safe Mode, which didn't load the USB support or the CD drive (so I had to resort to the Acronis Secure Zone).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

Try to boot from the CD and see if you can access the device that the image is stored on. With the Toshiba, the Acronis boot disk won't load in normal mode - so I was forced to load it in Safe Mode, which didn't load the USB support or the CD drive (so I had to resort to the Acronis Secure Zone).

I can't try this until tomorrow -- the portable hard drive it's on is actually at a friend's house. :thumbsup:

But I made the b/u of the hard drive from the program CD itself (we had accidentally left it in the drive, that's how we found out you could do this) and saved it TO the portable hard drive connected via USB... So if I could do that (and it recognized the drive being there) wouldn't that mean it would recognize the drive to take the backup off of? Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

It depends, did you make the disk image from the bootable CD? If so, it'll likely work.
But, if you made the disk image from within Windows - then it may not work and will require testing.

I found this out the hard way - by making the image in Windows and then finding out I couldn't restore it! Had to reformat and reinstall Windows in order to get it working!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:24 PM

I'm almost positive we made the disc image from the bootable cd. So I guess that means it'll work in "reverse", right?

But even if that's true, I'm still wondering about my questions 1, 2a, & 2b above... Can you let me know answers to those specifically? Thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

Sorry, I got wrapped up in the bootable part and lost track of the original intent :thumbsup:

By all means go ahead and remove the program if you're confident of the program's ability to restore from the CD in an emergency. All of my images are made from the bootable CD (rather than from within Windows) because I consider it to be quicker and more reliable (but I'm a beta tester for Acronis so that may affect my results).

#7 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

But is it problematic to just leave the program on there, with those services that run automatically, if I never actually use the installed program? Can it cause some kind of problem?

My preference is to uninstall, but if you look at the link I provided for the uninstall instructions, it's a MAJOR ordeal... (Which is pretty lame of Acronis to make it so difficult...)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:09 PM

I never bothered with the uninstall instructions with any version of ATI. Right now I've got the ATI Enterprise Server installed on my Vista system - so I suspect that I've uninstalled v11 previously.

A quick check of my system reveals that I've also uninstalled the Enterprise Server - hmmmm :thumbsup:

I did have ATI Home v11 installed and uninstalled it. Since I didn't know about the instructions, I suspect that I uninstalled it from the Programs applet in Control Panel - and haven't had any issues with it since.

FWIW - A quick scan of my Device Manager shows no Acronis devices, nor does the Services applet show any Acronis services. A look through the registry does reveal some left behind entries for both ATI Home and Enterprise Server

So, in short, removing it through Control Panel is probably best. FYI - the link you provided was for a manual uninstall of ATI (and other Acronis products) which is, IMO, something that you should only resort to when a normal uninstall doesn't work.

#9 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 07:22 PM

I just had read where someone uninstalled it (I think with the uninstaller that is part of the program in the program folder?) and it left stuff running on their system and only partially uninstalled, etc. I've read a number of complaints about uninstalling issues with various versions of it.

So you think I should use the Add/Remove Programs to uninstall it, rather than it's own uninstaller? (I always thought that was bad to do, if there is an uninstaller included with the program...?)

Please let me know... Thanks!

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 08:21 PM

As I don't have it on my system, I'm really just guessing here. If it's got it's own uninstaller (in it's folder in All Programs), then by all means use that. I would tend to trust and uninstaller written by the maker of the program more than the generic Microsoft one (but also, I don't have any clue about how either one works).

You can easily remove the devices and disable the services. The registry entries won't do any harm if they're left in there. Uninstall it and we'll deal with what's left! :thumbsup:

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

I went with those manual instructions and it seems to have worked fine. :thumbsup:

(I read some nightmare stories about using add/remove programs -- and it did not have its own uninstaller...)

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users