Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

E2160 Will Not Overclock

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johnrhance

johnrhance

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:57 PM

I recently built my new computer.

abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI
e2160
EVGA 8600GT
2GB G.Skill 5-5-5-15 2T
160GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
Thermaltake TR2 430W

I successfully installed Vista Ultimate and now I would like to start overclocking the 2160. I go into the bios and slightly raise the FSB, but when I try to boot I get an error and the FSB stays the same. I tried lowering the FSB but that doesn't work either. The only thing I can change is the multiplier, which is currently at 9x. Do you all have any idea why I can't seem to change the FSB at all? The only thing I can think of is maybe I got a bad board?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:49 PM

There could be a setting in the BIOS that's locking the FSB - or that won't let you change it because it'll affect something else.

FWIW - In the old days we'd have killed for an unlocked multiplier! Try raising it and see what happens (multiplier x FSB = CPU Clock Speed)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboard...fpin9sli_5.html

You might want to bookmark that link.

Louis

#4 johnrhance

johnrhance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

I can't raise the multiplier any more, it only goes to 9x. Thanks for the link, but I couldn't find anything useful in it.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

Overclocking voids all warranties!
If you toast it, it is your responsibilty!

Why would you want to anyway?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:48 AM

Overclocking voids all warranties!
If you toast it, it is your responsibilty!

Why would you want to anyway?

Some people want to squeeze out that last little bit of performance. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they are aware of the inherent dangers associated with it, after all, it is their computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Overclocking is a fun activity - and a challenge to get the most out of your system. Until something fries (been there, done that, got the t-shirt!) and you've got to start replacing things!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 johnrhance

johnrhance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:26 AM

I'm not worried about frying parts. The processor was only $79 so I can always replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users