Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Possible To.......

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ~╬♣zm泄♀法~

~╬♣zm泄♀法~

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:36 PM

Is it possible to upgrade my CPU and RAM on this thing? It's a Compaq Presario SR1123WM (upgraded RAM and GPU). I've had MANY mixed opinions about it and HP is of NO help because my warranty expired. Usually Google helps me out, but this time no. Maybe i'm not using the right search criteria, i don't know, so i came to the experts! Will i have to upgrade my motherboard as well? Thank you for your help. Merry (insert holiday here) and Happy New Year!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:47 PM

It takes DDR2700 memory & maxes out at 1 gig. The memory is still available. Some Compaqs were picky about memory. Check Crucial or Kingston .

It has an Intel Celeron(P) 330 2.66GHz processor which is more than adequate in most cases
I wouldnt upgrade the processor. Might not work
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

I guess that I have to ask...upgrade, with what objective?

I mean, just for the heck of it? What do you want to get out of the change?

How much money (max) do you want to spend?

Louis

#4 ~╬♣zm泄♀法~

~╬♣zm泄♀法~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:27 PM

eyesee~ I've already upgraded to 2x 512DDR RAM chips and upgraded my GPU to Geforce FX5500 256Mb. You are absolutely correct. This processor is more than adequate in MOST cases. And what is 'Crucial or Kingston' that you speak of?

hamluis~ I am an :flowers: EXTREME GAMER :thumbsup: !!!!!!!!!!!! Most of the newer games that are coming out are made specifically for the higher speed, duo-core processors. Even the newer games that i CAN play are choppy a little even in low graphics settings. So, i guess, i kinda need the duo-core processor (or at least a higher speed processor)..... Unless there are any suggestions to an alternative.?

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

According to this link for your motherboard, you can upgrade the processor to a socket 478 P4 @ 2.8 gHz or higher - but remember the limitation of the 533 mHz bus when ordering a replacement (P4 3.0 gHz can be found for around $65).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

OK...so why not just wipe the slate...and get a system that is not new (with dual-core processing) and which you won't have to fool with for some time?

"Newer" does not necessarily mean "released last week" but there are a number of options (motherboard/CPU bundles, barebones systems, etc.) which certainly will allow you to wind up with a newer, better system where all of the components can be relied on for some time.

I don't game, so I just sit around and try to think of reasons to give myself a newer system...when my two desktops (XP2200 and XP2800) do everything I want to do (and I have an AMD 64x2 processor/Asus motherboard standing by, awaiting a call to duty, if ever either of my two desktops should fail me).

Seems to me that there are lots of opportunities out there for any but a gamer to upgrade a system easily...and gamers have all the upgrades/improvements directed at them...so you have lots of choices.

Which is why I asked about the dollar thing...

Duo-core systems are available. It's the video that seems to require some hard choices, IMO.

Many of the regulars here are gamers, so their inputs will be more valuable than mine.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 December 2007 - 03:55 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:45 PM

Take a trip down to the local retailers (when the after XMas sales start) and see what you can get. You'd be surprised how cheap systems are these days. They're so cheap that I'm going with a ready built system for my wife on her next upgrade - so I won't have to troubleshoot her system as well as mine :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ~╬♣zm泄♀法~

~╬♣zm泄♀法~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 04:22 AM

Ok, since i am COMPLETELY illeterate on the internals of my computer, could anyone point me in the right direction? i would like to get out as cheap as possible without sacrificing performance. (Who doesn't like a good deal, right?) I'm probably going to upgrade my GPU also, but i've got that covered. Is there any alternatives to a 'new computer'? Thanx everyone and MERRY X_MAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowers: :thumbsup:

#9 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:59 AM

I'm a gamer too. I just got myself a new system, and I'm waiting for it in the mail in no time. :trumpet:

I really don't know how deep you want to go, but there are good deals out there. There is lots of info about new hardware.

Changing to the P4 3.0 will help a lot. Your Vid Card has CineFX 3.0 Shading Architecture, thats a requirement for new games, but has no DirectX10 capability and it's AGP 8X I guess. RAM get Corsair, IMO the best there is for gaming. Money is a very important factor here, cause a good Vid Card for gaming will go over $300, Good RAM will go over $100. But if you go and look for things that are not like in the top of the list you can get a great piece of hardware $100 less than the best one there is. And still be able to play not giving too many advantage to peeps that can spend lots of money in their systems.

My suggestion is what I did, I got myself a new MotherBoard, a CPU , some RAM and a New Vid card. I will use the Hard Drive of my old Rig and the the Power Supply. I'm even going to use the same case, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. That involved $800+ though.

I get my stuff from two places in the net. I have some local shops but they don't really have the best hardware, but they surely have high prices, I live in Mexico. :flowers:

NewEgg.com
and
TigerDirect.com

NewEgg will not ship outside the States, TigerDirect will ship out the USA (155 dollars plus customs).

Check the limitations of your current hardware and see how much can you upgrade. Review how much you will spend in upgrading and in getting a new rig maybe using some things you already own, and put it in a balance, sometimes it's cheaper to just get a new PC, but sometimes it is not. You would be amazed how much your "Gaming Experience" (I love that phrase) will change just by upgrading. I live in Mexico so I don't have local retailers to go, but I'm sure you do and shopping around is always good. You can get really good deals in lots of things.

Good Luck bro...

:thumbsup:

Mav

Edited by ^MavericK!, 25 December 2007 - 06:19 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

Remember, I'm not a gamer :flowers:.

If I wanted to "upgrade" cheaply...and play today's/tomorrow's game...I would say that's probably impossible.

From where I sit, gamers need to focus on the GPU and overall system capability (usually summarized in the CPU), since gaming is probably the most taxing thing routinely done by routine users on systems.

All games reflect minimal system requirements. I'm not sure these can be relied upon, since most gamers far exceed such.

I think that a barebones solution might be the best...but it's XMAS and inventory reduction time, so there are probably some good deals for whole systems that will run yesteryear's games well, but might have difficulty pleasing users of this year's (or next year's games).

Life is much easier being a non-gamer :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 ~╬♣zm泄♀法~

~╬♣zm泄♀法~
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yes life is easier being a non-gamer, just not as exiting! lol I need more knowledge on CPU's and motherboards, i guess... I was thinking i'd be able to get-away-with upgrading the processor (to maybe get a better frame-rate). I guess i need to just break-down and buy a new system... this old girl's been good to me though...lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users