Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd Is Dying

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rico_suave

rico_suave

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

My hard disk is dying. It's making all sorts of clicking noises and is taking forever to load windows. The hard drive is about 7 years old and has served me well.

I have a new HDD that I can install, but I need to get some data off of the old one. I know there are devices on the market that I could connect the old HDD to and use it externally. For the life of me, I can't recall what the device is called. For some reason sling box comes to mind, but I'm not sure if I'm thinking of something else.

Any thoughts on what to search for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:49 AM

They're called Drive Enclosures or Caddy's - and are available for 2.5" or 3.5" wide drives and come in IDE and SATA versions. Most are USB, but some are available in FireWire. http://www.google.com/search?q=drive+enclo...lient=firefox-a

FYI - the more you access the drive, the more likely that it's gonna die on you. So I'd suggest preparing for the transfer before you actually do it - and then do it as quickly as possible the first time that you hook it up.

Edited by usasma, 23 December 2007 - 10:50 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rico_suave

rico_suave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:59 AM

Thank you very much!

Are these readily available at off-line retailers?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:12 AM

Most major electronics places should have them - dunno about places like Target and WalMart tho'. The local BestBuy had a couple on their shelves on Friday. I'd also check Radio Shack, CompUSA, etc.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

Remember...

Since you are going to clean install a new hard drive as your boot/system partition/drive, you can do that and then after your XP install is complete) attach the other drive as a secondary drive on either the same IDE cable or another IDE cable.

You can then move data files (email, favorites, etc.) from one to the other.

If you are using the Master/Slave jumper settings, then you would also have make sure those are changed to reflect the new drive as the Master. If you are using Cable Select, you don't have to fool with jumpers.

When installing the new drive, make sure that the other drive is not...yes, not...connected on the system until after the XP install is complete.

It's convenient to have a USB enclosure, but it's not necessary to have one :thumbsup:. If you want to go that route, full speed ahead.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:37 PM

Mount the new drive & get XP up & running with all drivers, software etc
Then temporarily disconnect your cdrom drive(s) & hook the old drive up there.
That might be the easies thing to do
Get your stuff off as fast as you can!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

I agree that you should get the new hdd partitioned, formatted, and the OS installed. You should then install all of you dirvers and other applications, and then get all of Microsoft updates for the OS. I would then install the new hdd as master and the old hdd as slave on the same IDE cable, be sure to place the jumpers in the appropriate location. You then should be able to click and drag you information from the old drive to the new one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users