Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Read From Source File

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:38 AM

I'm having problems copying files from my NTFS D:. I am going to be replacing this hard drive soon because I can tell that it's starting to fail. I decided to transfer my files off D: to my C: until I can replace it. For some reason, if a file is being transferred and it takes longer than five to ten seconds, I get an error that says that Vista cannot copy the file because the source file cannot be read.

For instance, I'm transferring a 200MB movie file to C:. After a few seconds, the error appears. Also, if I try to transfer the file to a USB stick the same error happens about five to ten seconds into the transfer. I thought the file might be damaged and tried to play it. I can play it just fine. It seems that many large files get this error.

Another example, I recently bought a Zune and started to sync files to it from D: using the old USB 1.0 on the front of the computer. Several files that were large would not be transferred to the device. Once I switched to the USB 2.0 ports on the back, the ports that have a higher data transfer rate, almost all files were transferred.

I think that the two issues are related. I would like to transfer as many files off D: as possible but these issues are making it difficult. The files appear to be intact but the file transfer seems to fail. The hard drive is starting to fail but the errors happen almost at the exact same time in the file transfer. This could be either software or hardware related. Is there any way that I can move the files?

3939.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karthik upadhya

karthik upadhya

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:50 AM

Hey....

I think your hard disk has bad sectors....

Try this link dude

http://www.ehow.com/how_113636_fix-sectors-hard.html

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

When I get the "cannot read" message on a hard drive, I run chkdsk and then defrag.

Louis

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:08 PM

I ran chkdsk with it set to repair bad sectors. It got stuck so I had to abort. I then went into defrag and it told me that I didn't have to do it at this time. I went ahead and defragged anyway. The file is able to be copied. I'm going to go back and try chkdsk again. I think this hard drive is nearing it's failure point, after seven years I think it needs to be replaced.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users