Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Us Robotics Cp5699a Modem Install Promblem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 justice501

justice501

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:26 AM

:thumbsup: Need a little help in installing a internal US Robotics PCI Win Modem card with fax. The part number is a 3cp5699a. Will call this unit 1. I am running Win Me as my operating system, Compaq Presario 5000 series, Model 5008US. 512 Max on the memory,4x disc drive, 6Gb hard drive. Just purchase card from a seller on line. Came with a General modem disc and the card. Vendor Stated card is new and it appear new. At the moment I am running a internal US Robotics 3cp5610 pci fax modem that came form my other unit. Will call this unit 2. Basically it will not detect drivers are use them. Here what I did. Pull unit 2 out of computer and put in unit 1 in. Let the plug & play take over. I went to modems in control panel & tick on unit 1 description and it stated the drivers were corrupted that usually means that they were not accepted but it did recognize unit 1. So I deleted unit 1 in modems and manually tried to install unit 1. Went to add mew hardware let it find unit 1 and came to the point where you pick a modem are have a disk. Choose disk and went to to drive D and went down to the file where they had unit 1 description under 3comm drivers. Open the window and I choose several of the files and nothing work. There is no install in this file. Several. Inf. When you open these up they have a lot references to Win 98. Well then I went to US Robotics site and I down loaded the drivers from that site. They are the same ones that I have on the disk in drive D. But I went head and did the very same thing I did in the preceding text. No luck. Left an email to tech. Phone call is very expensive by time that transaction would be completed I might as well take it to shop and pay the 70 dollar charge. Finally I deleted the unit 1 & 2 under control panel modem went to system and deleted that reference to 1 & 2. And then over to install and remove programs and uninstalls 3 Comm program. Went to .INF Directory under Windows and deleted all inf related to 3comm are US Robotics and then went to Programs directory and remove anything related to 3Comm left over. Shut down pull card Restart computer ran two programs that works with registry and remove any dead ends that was related to the stuff I had just remove. Shut down again install unit 1 Restarted computer and did the same thing again as I had I stated in preceding text still cannot get drivers to recognize. Does any one have any other ideas I could try to install unit?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

Which driver did you download from the website. They don't list a specific driver for windows XP. I would try the NT drivers. Also further reading in the manual doesn't show support for Windows XP either. It is listed as being supported on the website :thumbsup: . Also If you set your modemís jumpers to Plug-and-Play mode, Windows
should locate a free IRQ, if one exists, for your use by your modem. (as read from here ) One last try would be to attempt to install it in the other computer from which you took modem #2 from. If all fails return it to the online seller (hopefully your didn't get it on E-bay, if you did I see trouble)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

<<I am running Win Me as my operating system, Compaq Presario 5000 series, Model 5008US.>>

I believe that Me used Win 98 drivers in many cases, but I could be wrong.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306933

Louis

#4 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:52 PM

Sneaky Cyber I am running Win Me system. And I downloaded Win me drivers from the USR site. I think they also had drivers for XP but that wouldn't be of any use to me. Also on that particular modem they do not have jumpers. Lois you quite correct went to site and yes Me is group in with 98. Not much info on how to get them to go. Thanks for the info.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:25 PM

To load the driver (which is either a .inf file or a .drv file, I think), you should use Device Manager.

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

#6 justice501

justice501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

:thumbsup: Well Louis I was originally going to post that it was up and running. I decided I give a more detail than that maybe someone else might encounter these same problems as I did and a search may bring this up. Well first we know what kind of modem we have and that is located in my first posting. You are very right that .inf does control this type of modem. The last link in you're last post is no longer valid I think at least ways it would not come up for me. But I use a search item and I found some post in there older articles that got me started in a different direction. First remove all references to a modem in system, add/remove programs and go to windows and remove all references to your modems in the inf in my case US Robotics. Go to programs and remove all references or programs pointing about the type of modem you are using. Don't monkey with the register leave that alone! Shut down the computer and remove old modem or what ever and install the new modem. Reboot and let system find the win modem that all it will do. Every thing after that it is let say is baloney. Now this is not uncommon. When I work in a PC repair shop we ran into to these same problems that why we did not install win modems. We use to take out our hammers and smash the living "*!#@%?" out them. We usally install US Robotics straight modems and their was a couple others that were out there that were fair one was such cirrus. While I am thinking about my last net provider his service would not work on win modems! When I got this modem I was at Ebay could not find what I want and when I drop to the bottom of the page I saw a company that had new robotics modems at a good price. Well little did I know it was a win modem I never Knew US Robotics made a win modem. Well already bought it so I said what hell might as well give it a go. Well after 4 weeks I am now operating with this modem. Well now for the kicker. The modem was found but the no drivers found! Odd! Went to system and click on modem and brought that up and it stated drivers are toast. Odd again! Well I did something you mention I hit update drivers. Here the million dollar mystery it ask for a file called dosbx.inf and it kept pointing to the place call install under window? I could not find that file in that area! Was it a Win Me file? I look under the file on my modem disk. No file! I look under the file I download no such file. I search US Robotics site no file. Even on how to install modem on that the site had no mention to that file. Search web did not find anything that would come up with that file. Finally went to basement and dug out some of old modem 3.5 install disks. And bing there it was on one that I use to install robotics modems on 98. Now that had and install program but it would not work for this modem but I copy that dosbx.inf file to several place on the hard drive and bing that did the trick it loaded a bunch of drivers and I configure the modem and away I went. Well another problem solve quite a few more to go. Thanks Louis

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:22 AM

Congratulations on solving your problem. :thumbsup: Thank you very much for posting your solution. It will definatly help in the future for members with win modem problems. :flowers:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users