Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incomplete file access from within programs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 draaaca

draaaca

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:09 PM

When I am within a program, be it Word, or Media Player, or whatever, and I try to open a file, all that is available to choose from with-in the pull down menu is "My Documents" and "Desktop." I can not access the "C", "D", "E" etc drives to open anything in them.

I am running XP Home with SP2.

This is bugging me to no end. I can't remember if this has been the case from the start or if I "tweaked" something and made this happen.

Please help!

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 11:10 PM

Hey draaaca. What happens if you type c:\ (or some other drive designator) into the location box? Will it go to that location?

OT :thumbsup:
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#3 draaaca

draaaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Thanks for the reply
No, it will not, just goes to the "my docs" folder.

It does this for every program I have that I have tried, so I am guessing there is some "universal" option or something that I probably wanked.

#4 OS_Challenged

OS_Challenged

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 28 February 2005 - 04:32 PM

I realize you my already have admin privs, but have you tried logging in as admin, or even someone else to see if the same thing happens.

I don't know this for sure, but it might be a permissions issue. Depends on whether the same thing happens logged in as someone else.
These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something, and wonder what I'm here after.

#5 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:04 PM

Hello again draaaca. I must say, you've got me stumped. I've been serching for quite some time and cannot find anything like this. Do you feel special?

I would like you to try this. Create a folder like c:\doc. Copy one of your documents into that folder. Then start Word and go to the File/Open dialog. Type c:\doc\<your file> into the file edit box and substitute the file you copied for <your file> in the example.

What happens? Does Word open the file or do you get a message or an error?

We'll go from there.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#6 draaaca

draaaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:32 PM

I do feel special, but I want to be regular..I want to ride on the big bus!

I have some more to add to clarify:

If in Word, for example, if to open a file, if I enter C:\, or D:\ or any of my drive letters in the "open file dialog box", I can then access that drive. But unless I do that the drive contents are never shown.

This condition is not just for Word, but any program where I want to access a file to open it: Media Player, Winamp, Acrobat, Nero, etc.

I was looking thru "TweakUI" I think it was last night (I am on a different machine at work) and looked to see if maybe i set some privalege incorrectly or something but did not locate anything.

I am one to "tweak" my system to "turn off" unneeded processes but I wonder if I turned off the wrong thing somewhere.

If I were to reload my XP op sys on top of what I have loaded might that fix it?

Thanks

#7 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:16 PM

Ok Mr. Special. I think I have been able to recreate your situation. Since you said you have TweakUI I used that. Here's what I did:

In TweakUI I went to My Computer and then Drives. I cleared the checkboxes in front of my C: and D: drives. When I went to Notepad and used the Open dialog, the 2 drives did not show up. When I went back to TweakUI and put the checks back in the drives showed up again.

Check that out and see if your situation is the same.

Cheers.

OT :thumbsup:
OldTimer

Posted Image

#8 draaaca

draaaca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hello Old Timer,

That worked!
But I don't know why it did though. When I went in as instructed, all of my drives were marked as to be shown, not hidden. So I marked them all to be hidden, applied it, and then went back and made it for them to be shown. Then they all showed up in the "open" dialog boxes.

Maybe something "glitched" and made them go away, but the Tweak did the fix.

Thanks again!

Draaaca

#9 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:29 PM

Hey draaaca. Glad to hear things are working again. You know, for all our answers sometimes we don't know why they work either :thumbsup: .

Come back and visit us anytime.

OT
OldTimer

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users