Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Belkin Easy Transfer Cable Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ND4SPD

ND4SPD

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:32 PM

I just bought a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable and I am having a heck of a time getting it to work. In fact, it doesn't work on my PC. I have tried it on three other systems (one Vista 32 *works*, a Dell XP Home *doesn't work*, and a MSI Motherboard'ed XP Home *works*). I have tried installing and uninstalling the drivers multiple times. All to no avail. Any ideas?

When the cable is plugged in, it starts to install the driver but bombs out after a short time saying "there was a problem installing... blah blah blah". In device manager, it says "Unable to initialize the device, reinstall" or "fatal error during driver installation".

Edited by ND4SPD, 22 December 2007 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:56 AM

Hi ND4SPD and welcome to BleepingComputer.

It would help if you could provide us with the error message rather than the blah blah blah.

Another alternative would be to purchase a crossover cable and set up a peer to peer network and trans fer your information that way.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ND4SPD

ND4SPD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:36 PM

Well to be honest the error messages aren't of much help, but here you go.

Posted Image

and

Posted Image

On the other XP system that it doesn't work on there is a "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". Reinstalling the drivers (removing and reinstalling the hardware, etc...) result in the same error message.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:54 PM

If you look in the Device Manager do you see any yellow question marks or yellow triangles with an exclamation mark in it in the other devices?

Are you installing the software with the cable plugged in?

Edited by dc3, 23 December 2007 - 01:55 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ND4SPD

ND4SPD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:18 PM

If you look in the Device Manager do you see any yellow question marks or yellow triangles with an exclamation mark in it in the other devices?

Yes, if you look at the screenshot, you will see the yellow "!". The software and the device drivers are on the PC so the software has been installed. I just got off the phone with Belkin's tech support (which was completely useless). Went through, disabled all non-microsoft services, etc... Unplugged, plugged back in about 6 times, tried re-installing the driver even more times than that. There is obviously something keeping the device drivers from being accepted or installing so I think we need to go down that route. Just FYI, I've been working with/on computers for over 20 years and consider myself an advanced user so I've tried *I think* most, if not all of the simple stuff.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

Yes, if you look at the screenshot, you will see the yellow "!". The software and the device drivers are on the PC so the software has been installed. I just got off the phone with Belkin's tech support (which was completely useless). Went through, disabled all non-microsoft services, etc... Unplugged, plugged back in about 6 times, tried re-installing the driver even more times than that. There is obviously something keeping the device drivers from being accepted or installing so I think we need to go down that route. Just FYI, I've been working with/on computers for over 20 years and consider myself an advanced user so I've tried *I think* most, if not all of the simple stuff.

Then I guess you don't need the help from this fledgling. :thumbsup:

#7 ND4SPD

ND4SPD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

My apologies dc3. I wasn't trying to get into a battle of who knows more or anything like that. I'm just a little frustrated with this issue and therefore a little oversensitive to what you were asking. I have tried installing with the cable plugged in, as well as prior to plugging the cable in and the same error comes up. My guess is that something is preventing the driver from being accepted. Now whether that is because of a write protected file, or something else is what I'm trying to find out. I just didn't want to go down the road of "unplug cable, uninstall driver, reinstall driver, plug-in cable" again. :thumbsup: I am willing to bet that if I formatted my HD and reinstalled windows that it would probably work... but that kinda defeats the purpose.

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:45 PM

When it fails to install, does anything show up in Event Viewer? Does the software have to be installed on both computers or just the one you're transferring from?
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 27 December 2007 - 06:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#9 ND4SPD

ND4SPD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

Here is what I found in Event Viewer...

The description for Event ID ( 4377 ) in Source ( winusb0100 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Windows XP, winusb0100.

There are 2 log entries created, both the same, two minutes apart.

Theoretically it only needs to be installed on the XP machine because a Vista machine supposedly already has the drivers for it. I was eventually able to get it to work between 2 other systems (an XP and a Vista). My PC seems to be the holdout.

Edited by ND4SPD, 29 December 2007 - 01:25 PM.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 02:47 PM

This might help make a little more sense of the error. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312216 All your updates are installed along with SP2, correct? If you have a XP CD you could try SFC/ scannow
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 ND4SPD

ND4SPD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Well, I ended up Formatting & Reloading Windows and low and behold it worked after Windows was reinstalled (as I knew it would). Oh well. :thumbsup:

#12 djr2010

djr2010

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 30 November 2010 - 02:07 AM

Just in case someone else has this trouble...

I ran into this also. Finally found the trouble for F5U279 model of cable. In setupact.log the following error is logged:

WdfCoInstaller: [11/29/2010 21:27.40.551] ArpEntryPresent: RegOpenKeyEx(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wdf01005)

WdfCoInstaller: [11/29/2010 21:27.40.601] ArpEntryPresent wasn't found so we will assume the package was removed: error(2) The system cannot find the file specified.

WdfCoInstaller: [11/29/2010 21:27.40.822] VerifyMSRoot: exit: error(0) The operation completed successfully.

WdfCoInstaller: [11/29/2010 21:27.44.597] Update process returned error code :error(1603) Fatal error during installation.
. Possible causes are running free version of coinstaller on checked version of OS or vice versa. Look at the Kmdf documentation as to what steps need to be followed to install the correct versionof the coinstaller

I'm at XP SP3 and Wdf01005 looks to be something from SP1. One way or another I don't have a HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wdf01005. Added it and a DWORD value of 1 and correct coinstaller was used and driver installed properly.

Good luck to the next one caught by this.

#13 Aaron_Plugable

Aaron_Plugable

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Just a quick word of thanks to djr2010 for the solution to this problem. I work for Plugable Technologies, and we had a customer experience this install error on Windows XP with our easy transfer cable. We followed djr2010's instructions to make the installation work right. Here's what we did:

1) Add HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Wdf01005

2)Put a new DWORD in it with a value of 1 (we modify the value from 0 to 1 but left the default "New Value #1" as the name).

3) Reboot the PC.

4) Re-install Microsoft's latest version of Windows Easy Transfer on the PC (download from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer).

5) Plug in the cable and watch Windows XP recognize it without fail.

Thanks for the information that proved so helpful.

Best Regards,

Aaron
Plugable Technologies

#14 dwboston

dwboston

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the recap, Aaron. Did all that, still get installation errors and yellow exclamation mark on the cable in Device Manager. Giving up...

#15 hqcssj

hqcssj

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Aaron,

I haven't had to mess with my registry ever but I am having this problem and I am anxious to try your solution. Can you point me to where I can understand better what you mean by:

2)Put a new DWORD in it with a value of 1 (we modify the value from 0 to 1 but left the default "New Value #1" as the name).

I am brave as a user, have even built computers but I've gone to a "need to know" relationship with my operating systems since XP was introduced and applied the bandwith elsewhere in my life.

Thanks for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users