Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Installed New Maxtor Hd

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

Hi,

I just put in a new Maxtor(Seagate STM332062A)320GB HD. The old Western Digital(WD1200JB)120GB HD is 6 yrs old and on its way out. When booting up, sometimes it won't go past the black Widows XP screen. I cloned the old onto the new and the computer won't boot from the new drive. It stays on the same screen mentioned above and the blue progress bar move only incrementally(moves a little, then stops,and repeats). At the end of the the cloning process,(which took aprox. 52 hrs!) I got this error from the Maxblast software that reads, "Error; unable to write to disc 2(new drive) sector 625137344 Retry, Ignore, ignore All". I hit Ignore. I ran the long DST in Seatools for DOS on both drives and the old drive failed with 40 bad sectors and the new drive is OK. I'm wondering if I can just repair the boot section on the new drive using WinXP's recovery console. I did this clone process twice and I don't want to do this again if I don't have to. I been working on this issue for over 2 weeks! I'm quite frustrated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:23 AM

If you have the installation disc I would just reformat the new hdd and install the OS and then connect the the new hdd as master and the old as slave and transfer the information for the old to new. It sounds like the old hdd has enough problems that you are getting a corrupted image of the OS when you clone it.

In the future you may want to consider saving your important files on CDs or DVDs so that if you have a failure like this you will have the important files ready to reinstall, it saves time and hair.

Edited by dc3, 23 December 2007 - 12:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:59 AM

Dc3 speaks truly!

Cloned drives never work correctly! Especially on a hard drive that appears to be failing!

I would disconnect the old drive and jumper it correctly and then load Windows on it with a clean install.
Get it to boot and work correctly
Then disconnect your cdrom drives and connect your old hard drive to that.
Copy off all the data that you can, if you can, as the drive is failing
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:16 PM

I'll just add that the cloned drives I've played with usually required editing of the boot.ini or a repair install of XP to get things right.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 02:53 PM

Cloning a drive is just that - and exact copy of the old drive, errors and all. It's likely that you'll be able to recover data from this cloned image - but it shouldn't be bootable (lot's of Windows security stuff will work to prevent that).

Since you hit "Ignore" more than once - I wonder what things were ignored? I'd suggest that it'd be easier to attempt to do a repair installation of XP than to try the Recovery Console only to find strange errors later on. http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:10 PM

Hi All,

I've thought of doing a fresh and/or repair install but I stumbled across another issue. My original WinXP disc is vs2002. When I try to start an install, I get this message; "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD". Because of this, I couldn't get into the Recovery Console either. I'm currently using WinXP SP2.

Whoops! I posted this before checking out usasma's link. Sorry about that. But if there are other methods, they will be greatly appreciated. Thank you All!

Edited by compunerd, 24 December 2007 - 02:30 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 December 2007 - 02:56 PM

Version 2002 can be slipstreamed to include SP2, which is the current version of XP (for install purposes) for anyone who at least has SP2 on the system.

Louis

#8 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:58 AM

the cloned drive is working great! Thanks so much everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users