Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Remove Programs Won't Open

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 craneop

craneop

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:24 PM

hello, I download a nikon camera program. ( picture project 1.7 ) After installing I didn't like program and went into control panel add/remove programs. The add/remove program will not open. Just prior to installing program I removed programs from the startup program. But the add remove was working fine after that. Any ideas on how I can open add /remove programs ? I originally went into startup program because puter was running sluggish. It is running much better now, with exception of add/remove. Thanks joemc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

hey, I just noticed that there is no font/picture above the add/remove program. Any suggestions ?

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

Try rebooting to safe Mode and then Open Control Panel .Add/remove..Remove it and see if all is normal on boot back to normal.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

boopme, I rebooted in safe mode. there was a computer administrater and an owner account. I went into both and add/remove programs wasn't listed in either (in control panel). I rebooted in normal mode and add/remove programs is now gone from control panel. Any ideas ? Thanks I appreciate your help. Joe

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:10 AM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Remove Add or Remove Restrictions - #208 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:33 AM

Thanks bleeping cynic I will give this a try. I have to tell you now that you mentioned the registry. I ran reg cure and c cleaner also just prior to this problem. I didn't back up though. I appreciate the help. I will give this a try. I am going to go back to reg cure and c cleaner and make sure that they didn't back up . thanks joe mc

#7 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:26 PM

bleeping cynic, I downloaded the new reg (208) and rebooted still no add/remove. There are two other user accts. on this comp. They both list add/remove in control panel but it will not open. Owner acct doesn't show add/remove at all. I've also noticed that set program access and default will not open. I was able to undo last Reg cure run. But I couldn't do anything with c cleaner. Could these programs be the cause ? Are they worth keeping?Thanks, I appreciate the help. joe mc

#8 craneop

craneop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

hey, it's back. Add/remove is back. And working fine. Thanks to all. I appreciate the help. Joe mc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users