Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Received A E-mail That I Suspect Is A Scam.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Learner87

Learner87

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

Recently, I have received the 3rd email from different user that say they want transact a huge amount of money to my local bank account and they need my help to do this. Those people also say that they are from foreign country. I'm worry that this is a scam. They just need my Full name and address to complete this transaction. I start questioning my self, why they so trust me? Wht's their purpose if this was a scam? Do any one received this kind of e-mail before or experienced it before. Evry replies I will greatly appreciated. Tq.

Edited by Learner87, 22 December 2007 - 06:34 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

This is a scam pure and simple.

Called the Nigerian Scam, it has had many forms from letters to now emails.

Here's a short link on the subject with some examples.

You should never reply to such.
DELETE them as SPAM!
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Delete it immediately. Do not respond to it. This is what is called the Nigerian scam because because the scam originates from Nigeria though it's likely the scammer is living elsewhere. The scam has been around for years. Email makes it easier for them to troll for suckers. Don't even respond telling them it's a scam. It gives them a real addy to send more of the same.

#4 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:08 PM

I hv been reply them once. Wht should I do now? Omg......... Thnx for telling me!
Posted Image

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

Since you have replied to the mail, your address is now in someone's database as a "live" address, which means you will receive even more spam.
Delete any spam mail immediately, DO NOT OPEN IT. These days spam can contain bugs which "phone home" just from being opened. This also confirms that your email is valid, and again puts you in the loop for more spam. Never click on opt out links if you do open the mail-again this is another way to confirm your address.

#6 Learner87

Learner87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:50 AM

Thnx my friends above. You all have saved me from this trap. Thanks again.
Posted Image

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

as you are now on someone' s 'hit list' may I also suggest you utilise mailwasher whcih will allow you to delete these spam and other unwanted mails from your server

also; do you have an alternative addy you can use so that you can 'ignore' this now 'infected email addy?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users