Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limewire Won't Connect

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Crazyjay2005

Crazyjay2005

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

I started up limewire and it constantly says connection to network. My firewall is shut off. What is going on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

I had a same problem and solved it by uninstall the firewall, and an anti-spyware program which was blocking me from accessing the network (I can't remember its name). That could solve the problem, but it's bad idea to not have a firewall or an anti-spyware program installed on your computer.
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#3 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:42 AM

I started up limewire and it constantly says connection to network. My firewall is shut off. What is going on?

I used to have this problem myself. I'm beginning to think the ISPs are just shutting your access down when they see you using P2P software.

I'm not technically oriented with this stuff so i'm trying to find a more permenant solution but for now this is what helped me fix it, download FrostWire instead of LimeWire. It's color-scheme is different, it has some chat features, and it connects almost immediatly. I don't know why it works like this. My best guess is because FrostWire uses a different port than the more commonly used LimeWire and the ISPs haven't begun watching it as closely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or add knowledge since all I can tell you is "IDK but this ended up working for me".

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:42 AM

http://www.gnutellaforums.com
Its probably the best way of solving your connection problems. The people there are just as helpful as the people on Bleeping Computer :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:45 AM

I used to have this problem myself. I'm beginning to think the ISPs are just shutting your access down when they see you using P2P software.

I'm not technically oriented with this stuff so i'm trying to find a more permenant solution but for now this is what helped me fix it, download FrostWire instead of LimeWire. It's color-scheme is different, it has some chat features, and it connects almost immediatly. I don't know why it works like this. My best guess is because FrostWire uses a different port than the more commonly used LimeWire and the ISPs haven't begun watching it as closely.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or add knowledge since all I can tell you is "IDK but this ended up working for me".

Connection problems are different for everyone. Its best to troubleshoot it.

I also believe you are right about ISP's blocking P2P apps. But I might add, if they've blocked LimeWire, FrostWire would be blocked too, because both are on the Gnutella network

#6 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:54 AM

I also believe you are right about ISP's blocking P2P apps. But I might add, if they've blocked LimeWire, FrostWire would be blocked too, because both are on the Gnutella network

While we are talking about it... my new problem is that while running FrostWire or bit torrent my internet connection cuts out. Technically the icon in the lower righthand side says im still connected but nothing that requires internet access will work. Sometimes these programs will run for 20-30 minutes but it always gets shut down. I have to go up to the cable modem and unplug it and then plus it back it and it gets fixed but then i have to do it all over again in a couple minutes. I've changed my ports on bit torrent and that hasn't helped. Not sure if you can change the ports for limewire/frostwire, can you?

Anyway this has been going on for awhile and I'm getting sick of it. Any ideas?

#7 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

While we are talking about it... my new problem is that while running FrostWire or bit torrent my internet connection cuts out. Technically the icon in the lower righthand side says im still connected but nothing that requires internet access will work. Sometimes these programs will run for 20-30 minutes but it always gets shut down. I have to go up to the cable modem and unplug it and then plus it back it and it gets fixed but then i have to do it all over again in a couple minutes. I've changed my ports on bit torrent and that hasn't helped. Not sure if you can change the ports for limewire/frostwire, can you?

Anyway this has been going on for awhile and I'm getting sick of it. Any ideas?

What port are you using?
(I am in the progress of reading how I can help you change ports :thumbsup: )

#8 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

I'm not sure even how to tell what port you are using when using LimeWire/FrostWire.

For Bit Torrent I changed the port to 15900

#9 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:30 AM

I'm not sure even how to tell what port you are using when using LimeWire/FrostWire.

With limewire follow these steps.
- Open limewire
- Select tools > then options
- Select advanced
- Select firewall configuration

Next to listen on port: what is the number?
Eg. 6346

#10 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:39 AM

- Open limewire
- Select advanced

Eg. 6346

Mine is set as 35772

hmmm i was under the impression all these P2P programs ran in the 6k range by default. guess not

#11 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:44 AM

- Open limewire
- Select advanced

Eg. 6346

Mine is set as 35772

hmmm i was under the impression all these P2P programs ran in the 6k range by default. guess not

Try setting it to 6346 and tell me if it helps.

#12 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 04:52 AM

It did not do anything that I can tell.

#13 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:02 AM

I mean have you had problems with your internet connection?

#14 GLSketch

GLSketch

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:11 AM

I mean have you had problems with your internet connection?

The only problems I have with my connection are when I use a torrent or P2P program. As I said, I believe this is my ISP trying to screw me. It seems like there would be a way to just chnage the ports used and fix it but I'm apparently not that smart. In a couple hours I will be back at my house using my house connection instead of the buisness connection i am on now so I will try to reconfigure my router with my new info from portforward.com

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 05:19 AM

Sorry that I couldn't be of more assistance.

Ill see what I can whip up for you in the 3 or 4 hours because I need to do a few things with my system.
If I find something Ill check back here and make a post :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users