Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'system Mechanic' Takes Over Existing Recovery Console...makes Changes C Drive (!)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 mark4man

mark4man

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:40 PM

OK...

Purchased a new, high-end Core 2 PC, designed by ADK of Kentucky as a (super-duper) digital audio workststion. The techs at ADK laughed at the notion of any program written by Norton/Symantec installed on a machine assemnbled by them...so I went out & got iolo's System Mechanic to replace Norton's System Works (which I had on my old machine).

So I install System Mechanic; & I was prompted to then run the program, which I did. After it analyzed my system & performed its fixes, I was prompted for restart, which I did.

Because the install disk was still in the CD-ROM Drive, an iolo recovery console came up, telling me there was a problem w/ my hard drives. I selected my local drive © & let the fix run its full cycle. After completion, the PC rebooted; & this same recovery console cycle began all over again. I finally realized what was going on & removed the installation disk from the drive. Another cycle then took place, this time a completion & reboot of a registry fix; & on it's 2nd cycle the PC rebooted all the way to desktop.

Trouble is...whatever System Mechanic did to my C Drive, the Windows Hardware Wizard detected the drive as being newly installed; & reinstalled the drivers.

Now...ADK had this machine set up w/ their own recovery console; & by the looks of the way configurations were flashing by & being replaced as the BIOS loaded...I'm thinking that iolo has now taken that over.

What can I do to put my drive & system back the way it was (over the holiday weekend...until I can contact ADK support)?

Thanks,

mark4man

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:51 PM

Remove SM (that's not S&M, although using it on XP has to be questionable) :thumbsup:. Uninstall your device, using Device Manager.

Run chkdsk /r and then reinstall your device.

I used NSW...when I was on Win 98. Have never thought once about using it with XP...no need or better tools available.

Louis

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

System Mechanic is also a Registry Cleaner, and anything involving the registry can be dangerous. Maybe when the computer was doing the Registry Fix, that may have caused this problem, who knows? Can you access your desktop though? If you can, then maybe you should try a system restore if it is possible.

Edited by dgraziani28, 22 December 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#4 mark4man

mark4man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

hamluis & david28...

Thanks.

I've since gone back & popped it in again to see exactly what it was (without allowing it to work this time). It’s called 'Drive Medic Recovery Console'. The splash page reads: “Drive Medic™ will repair drives that have become unbootable, inaccessible or otherwise corrupted. It works by performing a series of tests on installed system drives & optionally fixes detected problems.”

My system seems to be running OK...but the only thing that bothers me is the fact that (the first time) I selected my C Drive...it tested & repaired it (have no idea why)...& when I finally pulled the install/boot disk & got back to the desktop, the Hardware Wizard recognized the drive as newly installed & reinstalled the drivers. So...it did something, that's for sure.

So...by your device reinstallation method...what do you mean by device...the C Drive?

[sorry, man...I can record up a storm in the studio...I'm a digital musician...but I'm a little wet behind the ears w/ XP & the lingo that goes along, still.]

Thanks again,

mark4man

Edited by mark4man, 22 December 2007 - 07:28 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:53 PM

Forgive me, sometimes I read too fast :flowers:. I was thinking that you had added some sort of external drive, but I now see that you clearly indicate you were talking new PC.

My brain cells are having a not-so-good day, but tomorrow is a whole new ballgame :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 mark4man

mark4man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

Louis...

Found out this morning...in Disk Management I have an unknown partition (4 GB...healthy...but unknown). This could be the original reovery console from the mfg. (ADK), or that one could have been gobbled up by SM's stupid Drive Medic. Only way to know for sure is if the prior MBR was saved. Looking for that right now.

Thanks,

mark4man

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:17 AM

With major computer manufacturers this partition has been used as a boot partition in order to (IMO) help with accessing the different partitions and recovery options of a system. I'd assume that ADK has done the same thing, but a call/email to their tech support would be the easiest way to verify this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 mark4man

mark4man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

UPDATE:

[usasma was correct]...

ADK tech support walked me thru a fix today. They had (as a precautionary measure...on all their custom-builds) installed Paragon Drive Backup...& it was the Paragon recovery partition installed at the factory that had been screwed around w/ by System Mechanic’s Drive Medic.

They simply had me delete the original (& corrupted) recovery partition...& I then installed a new one (& configured it for recovery from boot up, w/ a particular hot key).

So I'm all fixed up [&...I really have to get my s_it together here & realize (& appreciate) what I have going w/ this new box, as the mfg. has done a far superior job of protecting it than I have in its everyday operation].

[The remaining problem is System Mechanic...not for the functions it performs (which are numerous & fairly important)...bit in that the help files are weak...there is no manual...& no support forum on the net.]

But my machine is fixed up.

Thanks,

mark4man

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:38 PM

Appreciate the feedback, happy computing :thumbsup:!

Louis

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:53 PM

[The remaining problem is System Mechanic...not for the functions it performs (which are numerous & fairly important)...bit in that the help files are weak...there is no manual...& no support forum on the net.]
mark4man

System Mechanic Support
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

I too use system mechanic, but I configured it so it does NOT do anything to my registry. Including backing it up. For some reason even a registry backup screwsup my whole OS. I suggest you do the same. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users