Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Gets Boiling Hot And Screams! :|

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 IcedOut3

IcedOut3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:50 PM

Hello,
Recently my computer has been over heating and screaming (running of hard disk) alot. This only started happening few weeks ago and now its worse. My computer would heat to considerable amounts and then it would start to make loud noises (sounds as if the HDD is dead its trying to bringing it back alive :thumbsup:) THen my computer freeze and hang alot. When im doing normal work (ie surfing, msn, office) I get moderate nosies and heat, but when the play games, it breaks loose. I used to play the same game ever on better quality settings before and nothing would happen. THese days I have to HALF the quality and after about one hour, I HAVE to shut the pc down :trumpet:

Please help T_T Thank You

System Specs:
Pentium 4 3.2GHz
1GB RAM
280GB HDD
nVidia GeForce 6200

Also when I run SIW (System Information Windows) I get a statement saying: "Physical Memory 1024 MB Total, 514 MB Free
Memory Load 49%" When Im not even running anything but just one tab of firefox :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

Check to see if the power supply fan is spinning & putting out a good air flow. See if the airflow is hot.
Touch the case around where the power supply is. If it is hot, replace the power supply

Heat can cause a lot of severe damage so dont use the system unless you have to & check these things out as fast as you can. You might fry something if you wait!!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:52 PM

Maybe you need to clean the interior of your PC.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Ah thanks for the two replies, these are the two things I thought I might be suffering from. Well I have two more pieces of information;

1) Eyesee your right, I need to get this check and guess what? One component actually frieed, like it was smoking and smelt of burning plastic! Luckily it was under my warranty, so free replacement. ANd everything is HOT. Hot air coming through, the metal case of my tower is hot, even it heats my table :flowers: The fan is working and all but blows hot air, hope my warranty covers this, Im going today to talk the maker.

2) Mr Alpha, through the holes I can see it is very very dusty, even then fan has alot of dust and dirt on it. However I cannot open the case as teh warranty void sticker is stuck right in place, breaking that sticker would void my warranty. I want to take it back to the company who built it but they charge $60 for simple clena up :thumbsup: my parents aren't happy with that. So I'm going to go talk to him and explain my situation XD

Edited by IcedOut3, 22 December 2007 - 04:12 PM.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

How old is this unit & what make model etc if any, SOunds like a custom build though.
Hope you are not using it now! Not a good idea at all!

Typically opening the case does not void the warranty unless specifically stated.
Some boxmakers put a tamper seal on the unit to ensure that it was not opened in transit

Get this taken care of RIGHT AWAY! DO NOT USE THE UNIT!
A power supply is going to run you about 50 bucks. May not be covered by warranty if the system is excessively dirty on the inside.
You might have them put a case fan on it as well.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pets? A dog or cat?

Edited by Eyesee, 22 December 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#6 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:24 PM

Its about 3 years old now, and yes its custom built which I specifically asked for. Don't worry Im using the laptop atm :flowers:
The sticker states: "Warranty Void is seal is removed or broken" and yes it is verry verry dirty, I can see teh dirt just looking through the holes around it XD I want to get more fans installed cause right now theres this puncy fan with the diameter of about 6-7 cm and doesn't do a good job of keeping the computer cool. I try to make the environment cool as possible, with ceiling fans, open windows and minimum amount of wires behind the PC but no luck :trumpet: All my other friends have their tower tucked away in all sorts of closed areas with everything covering it and they barely make a noise :inlove: so Im guessing theres a big problem with mine.

Oh and I don't have any pets :cool:

PS: just emailed him with my situation, I tihnk they are closed today (sunday) so I'll let you know when he replies) :thumbsup:

Edited by IcedOut3, 22 December 2007 - 04:38 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

No pets eliminates animal dander. What kind of environment is this in?
Do you smoke? Cigarette smoke can gunk them up real good!

Years ago we used to get a chanel on the cable called "Tech TV". I loved that chanel. That was about all I watched. Broke my heart when they took it off. Paul Allen of Microsoft fame used to own it.

Anyway, once they did a bit on how to keep the inside of your system clean. Dont laugh either! I have actually had a few customers do this in a dirty environment like a shop or a garage.

Take a pair of women's panty hose and cut them a little bigger than the intake vents on the back. Duct tape it into place.
It acts like a filter. Believe me, it does work too! Can be easily and inexpensively changed as needed.
Just food for thought for when you get it fixed!

Anyone else ever heard of that before?

Edited by Eyesee, 22 December 2007 - 05:38 PM.

#8 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

LOL XD! I'll see what I can do about the filter, but other than that; environment wise my room; fairly clean vacuumed once a week. Im just a teen :flowers: so No no Cigarettes are smoked in this room, so yeah I'm in a clean environment just that dust tends to gather at places :trumpet: About your filter :inlove: I have the fan that blows air out and 2 openings on the side and 2 on the back, I don't see any fans or openings that 'suck' air in :thumbsup: THe one just below the fan seem to have some sorta of air movement going on but I think thats just because its right under the fan, here take a look:

Back:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Side:
Posted Image

Edited by IcedOut3, 22 December 2007 - 06:05 PM.

#9 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

I would be positive that the dust build-up has caused this problem. Also, try vacuuming twice a week instead of once a week because dust can collect up pretty quickly. Or, just vacuum once a week and then 3 days later vacuum around the computer area. Also, make sure that whatever is near your computer is free from dust, i.e. A dusty printer next to your computer isnt at all good especially when the air intake hole is next to it. But, I think that you need to clean your computer from dust seriously and dont use your compuetr untill it is cleaned. Hope this has helped you! :thumbsup:

Edited by dgraziani28, 22 December 2007 - 06:34 PM.

#10 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the reply DG but thats when the $60/Warranty Void comes in and I have contacted the store person hopefully he will reply, but your right this is also what I think is causing it.. the dust build up is pretty thick.

#11 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

The bottom back pic is the air intake. Lets wait & see what others have to say on this though.
Like I said, I have done it before in dusty environs with no problems. It does work well.

Ask your Mom before you cut up a pair of her hose too!

You have two places on the case for biscuit fans. I would highly recommend one.

Lets wait to see what others have to say about this as well. Need more input.
My personal opinion is that you have more going on than meets the eye.

BTW what was the other component that fried?
Yoou mentioned that.

#12 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:39 PM

Yeah, you probably wouldnt want to open the box to clean it out if it is going to void the warranty. But, dont use the computer untill it is cleaned, we dont want the entire PC to turn into a bonfire! :thumbsup: But I am extremely positive that it is dust build-up that is causign this problem so take it down to where you bought it ASAP to get it cleaned.

Edited by dgraziani28, 22 December 2007 - 06:46 PM.

#13 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

LOL Im tempted to remove the case, cos the seal isn't that sticky :D but I wont I'll just wait till he replies, and Eyesee the last picture is the suck in fan? It doesn't have any air movement but if so I will do that, and the thing that burnt was the motherboard :flowers:

If I do get the cleanup, what else should I get one case fan, one biscuit fan and eyesee custom filter :thumbsup:

#14 IcedOut3

IcedOut3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Just a quick question; inside the CPU (I looked through the holes) there are those colored (yellow, red,) wires that connect around and has like a "clip" on each end, are there meant to be any loose ones? Because looking through I see one wire thats not connected to anything, its just hanging out :thumbsup: I mean these wires here:

(random image from google)
http://www.dansdata.com/images/io020/psuplugs500.jpg

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:23 PM

The pic is air intake vents. The bottom back one. No fan there just air intake vents.

The warranty on most computer components is 1 year, not three.
Warranties cover manufacturer defects only. Does not cover acts of God IE a power strike or neglect.
Manufacturers defects only

I think you might have toasted the motherboard. If you smelt something burning

A computer should be opened and cleand at least once a year.
Think of it like a car. It is an investment in a way. It requires routine maintenance just like a car does.

If you actually smelt burning plastic something else is fried. Motherboard probably.
Dont trust the power supply anymore either

At that point I would consider replacing the system!
Never know what is going to come bite you back later on!

One time I opened a computer. It was covered with an inch and a half of dust end to end. You could not see any of the components at all. And the customer wondered why it didnt work? Overheated and toasted.

Another time I opened a friends system and it was full of roaches!
The house got infected! Took me a long time to kill them all.

Lets get some more ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users