Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Hd's One Pc, One Fat32 The Other Ntfs

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

Please move to HW Forum, . .sorry !

I Installed an external enclosure holding a HD to my CP-5300US, this computer has an HD C: File System
NTSF.

The HD E: File System is FAT32. Is this set up compatible with the Computer ?

Edited by Jove, 22 December 2007 - 01:56 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:38 AM

Just convert the FAT32 to NTSF, instructions can be found here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 01:40 AM

most external hard drives have come fat 32 for a reason, windows 98 and ME don't see the ntfs file system

as those OS's die out and drives get larger and larger, then it makes sense to use ntfs

usb jump drives are fat not ntfs, altho some people are changing them over

Edited by DaChew, 23 December 2007 - 01:42 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:49 AM

There's no compatabilty problem with your current system if you wish to continue to use FAT32 for the external drive. As already said, this gives the versatility to transfer data to and from other computers, whether they are PCs using older versions of Windows, Linux PCs or Apple computers.

If this is not important to you and you choose to convert it to NTFS, keep a couple of things in mind:

If the drive was initialised to the DOS/Win98 FAT32, converting to NTFS may result in 512 byte clusters, giving poor performance. A recent drive should have been set up with XP FAT32 to avoid this consequence.

It's safest to avoid setting an NTFS removeable drive to "Optimize for performance". Selecting this option will enable write cacheing, which is used agressively for NTFS. An accidental removal or power-down is more likely to cause drive corruption. If the drive is set to optimize for performance, be sure to always use the Safely Remove Hardware icon to flush the cache before disconnecting the drive.

Edited by Platypus, 23 December 2007 - 03:50 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:46 AM

The only reason that the external hdd came formatted to FAT32 is because most all computers can use this format. There are limitations with FAT32 that you don't have with NTFS, you have a 4GB file size and no security. That file size may not be a problem unless you are going to be storing movies or video editing. The security issue is a little more serious, with NTFS you can lock the files where as the FAT32 files are open for who ever wants them.

As for the cluster size, the smaller cluster size in most applications will not effect its performance.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 08:25 AM

A converted drive that ends up with sub-optimal small clusters will show a performance reduction, for a number of reasons. How much will depend on which causes of performance reduction come most into play. But it's academic if the conversion produces 4K clusters, in which case the drive will have been prepared in the recommended conversion compatable way.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

I have never trusted the conversion process myself, fast/quick format's are bad enough. With the conversion they always caution to back up your data first, well why convert if you have it backed up, just start over from scratch and do it right.
Chewy

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

That's a fair point - but I suspect people risk it without being completely backed up anyway... :thumbsup:

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 09:09 AM

My ntfs partitions/drives give me enough problems, after a while and if I am not careful my data partitions get badly fragmented. I don't like manually defraging large 4+gig video filesets mixed with smaller data. After losing a set or 2 over the years from fragmentation, it's hard to trust something as iffy as a drive conversion. Copy your data off slowly and methodically, take the partition and delete it, recreate it, and format slow ntfs if you must.
Chewy

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:53 PM

most external hard drives have come fat 32 for a reason, windows 98 and ME don't see the ntfs file system

as those OS's die out and drives get larger and larger, then it makes sense to use ntfs

usb jump drives are fat not ntfs, altho some people are changing them over

If I were to tell you that this is an external HD that was removed from a computer that had an OS-WXP-SP2,

would that make a difference ?

Because that happens to be the case.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

If the drive was originally set up on XP-SP2 then there's a good chance it would convert well. You may still end up with a fragmented Master File Table, but that can be corrected later with third-party software (but you may have to buy it, I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's freeware that can defrag the MFT).

I think a safe rule-of-thumb is if it now does all you want, why change? But if it will give you a worthwhile benefit, go ahead.

Do you want the advantages you'd gain by using NTFS? For example will you need to store files larger than 4GB, eg movies, DVD iso's, backup images of partitions?

The drive appears to be currently all one partition? How large and how full? This could matter: you can't convert a drive that is full or very nearly full.

If the drive doesn't currently contain anything you want to keep, or if its contents are backed up elsewhere, it could be best to use Windows Drive Management to remove the current partition(s) and create a fresh NTFS volume from scratch. That way everything is set up optimally, as DaChew suggests.

Edited by Platypus, 25 December 2007 - 06:31 PM.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks, I'll need to digest all of this, that will take a little time, however, if you have the time and energy,

I was going to post this in hardware, but since it's a story about the same HD in the same enclosure, . .

This is the HD I put into an External enclosure and instead of reformatting, I deleted all the files in it, including the OS.

Then, because this CP5300US does not have copy send CD capabilities, it can only read,

I moved it, (by way of USB Cable), from the 5300US to the 4400US, this computer does not have a HD installed.

At first after using, XP-F-Disk, it prepapred and downloaded files the asked to insert WXPSP2 disk, then it went to,

wind for a while, told me it was ready, and when I was, please press enter, I press enter, . .then it did nothing, I tried this twice.

I am wondering, this relates slightly to the explanation that you just gave, I must have done something to this HD,

that prevented the installation ?

At the time I only wanted to use it to empty the contents to a disk to have a back up file for the 5300US, so now I

am thinking I may move the CD Driver out of the 4400US to the 53, switching CD drivers, then use the 44 after I
get a new HD for it.

Then of course when I can get a writable driver for it, I shall have two useable computers, . . . I hope.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 07:16 PM

If I understand you right and you are trying to move files from one computer to another by usb external, you can, but you cannot transfer the OS installation that way

A drive formatted with disk management will not have the boot partition set active unless you do so, if you are wanting to put it back in another computer and install windows on it?
Chewy

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

The disk in the external enclosure was taken out of a troubled system the CP 4400US, I was having all kinds of problems with it, If it was ever formatted it was formatted while in the 4400, when I reinstalled sp1 from restore disk,

I was not able to install sp2 over this because of missing or corrupt files,

I could not format it, it just would not allow me to do that, I asked about wiping it, but after looking at how SIMPLE ! that is

I decided instead of wiping it, I took it, ( the HD), out of the 4400 and stuck in an external encloure plugged it into a the 5300 and deleted all files including the OS, or any files that had anything to do with it, . . .

I did not format it.

Therefore it was and is serving as an external storage device for the 5300, which does not have copy send or write to CD capabilities, . . . .

but, the 4400 I took it out of does, so, . .

if I want to copy files from the 5300 to a CD I would want to use the CD Driver capabilities the 4400 has,

therefore I unplugged it from the 5300, and plugged into the 4400 which now does not have a HD,

its HD is now in the Ex-Enclosure, so, forgetting, (for a second), that I deleted all OS system files on the HD,
I would not have a system to send the HD files to the CD.

I then used the F-disks to get something on the screen it loaded all files from this and I preceded to stick in the WXPSP2 CD, when asked and thats when it decided to nothing, after it (the CD), whirred for a while I thought it was going to unload SP2. but it just sat there and looked pretty, with the Press enter message box on the screen.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,807 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 02:27 AM

I think I understand now - you were hoping to use the external drive for both, external data drive for the 5300, then to boot up XP on the 4400 and burn the data to CD.

There is a problem with that. I believe it can be done, but I've not tried it myself. The difficulty that must be overcome is that the USB port needs to be initialised to be used by the Windows drivers, but the Windows drivers are on the USB drive, which needs to be accessed through the USB port, which hasn't been initialised...

I think your previous idea of transferring the CD writer from the 4400 to the 5300 is the best and simplest way to deal with it for now. Quite likely XP on the 5300 will be able to use the CD writer directly, even if you don't have immediate access to the same burning software that was on the 4400. XP's own built in "send to CD" burning facility is a bit clunky but would do the job for you. Later you could maybe get a DVD burner, which have now become rather cheap to purchase, and transfer the CD burner back.

Edited by Platypus, 26 December 2007 - 02:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users