Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access To Local Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dirt

dirt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:13 AM

Hello everybody, new to the site.
Here Is My problem, I took a win xp/media center off a domain few months ago. I have not used it since. I booted it up this morning in Admin, No Problem. I put it into a workgroup no problem. when i try to access any program, some local folders and/or control panel I get a message stating
"Windows can't access the specified device, path or folder. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
Now I can go into safe mode and there is no problem access anything. I can get on the internet ,right click on folders and so on, but once I relog on as admin -full control I can't get on the internet, launch programs, etc.

I really do not want to re-install.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hey there dirt, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Try logging into safe mode and creating a new Administrator level account. Than reboot into normal mode and log into the new account. Do things work in the new account or are they the same?

#3 dirt

dirt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

The same Problem. Can i be a local security setting problem?

#4 JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

I'm curious as to what steps you took to remove the computer from the domain. It looks like the security permissions weren't correctly changed.

Are there other accounts? Do they behave the same?

I'm assuming the administrator account is named "Administrator".

If you pick a folder > right-click it > properties > Security Tab.

In the "Group or user names" section, highlight the Administrator account. While we're here, let's look at this line. Let's say the name of the computer is "COMPUTER". So, this line with the admin account should look like: Administrator (COMPUTER\Administrators). If it shows domain\Administrators, (where domain is the name of the old domain, then that needs to be fixed.

Now, look below in the area that shows the permissions. You should see all the items checked under the "allow" column and none checked under "deny".

Click the Advanced button > Owner tab.

The line "Current owner of this item:" should say Administrator. If not, choose the administrator name below, click the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" check box and click the OK button.

Click OK buttons to close all windows.

Retry to open that folder.

If that works, then we have to reset the permissions on all failing items. That may or may not be too bad, depending on the number of items that need to be corrected. Let us know. There may be an easy way to do it.
-JtB

#5 dirt

dirt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

Sorry it took so long. I did what u recommended. and everything was right (meaning admin is for that PC not a domain admin). I can not execute any program your go into any control panel folders. Only in safe mode. I still get that message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users