Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Get To Internet From Wired Router?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BigCityNature

BigCityNature

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

We just got a Comcast cable modem installed, and that part works just fine.

However, when we add a wired router between it and one of our computers, there seems to be talk between the computer and the router, and talk between the router and the cable-modem (they're blinking at each other independently). But then the computer can't get internet access at all. We also can't finish the router config -- I believe (but could be wrong) when it's trying to access 192.168.1.1 (that's where the first router failed, and I don't think the second one did much better???)

I thought maybe the firewall was blocking something, but turning it off (even completely deleting it, since I was going to install something newer anyway) did nothing. I looked to see if one of my spyware utilities was doing something, but I'm not seeing anything (doesn't mean I'm looking in the right place).

I even tried a different brand of router, to make sure it wasn't just the router. New router = same problem.

And as soon as I remove the router and connect the cable-modem directly to the computer again, we have internet access again (though only, of course, through that one computer).

As for our setup -- we have 2 computers, both Dells running XP. They sit within 12 feet of each other (hence just wanting to do a wired network). The current router is a LinkSys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router Model BEFSR41.

I am completely stumped :thumbsup: , mostly because I don't know what else to look for or tweak. Anyone have any ideas? They are much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:31 PM

Hello BigCityNature,

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...st&p=618977

#3 BigCityNature

BigCityNature
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

Hello M....

Thanks for your help!

The email you referenced mentioned powering off the modem. For future detail of what worked for me, in case it's helpful for others -- my cable modem does not have a "power" switch to power off with, and if I unplugged it it simply went to a several-hour long battery backup. I had previously tried removing the battery to "power it off", but that hadn't worked.

The email you referenced, though, talked about needing to force the modem to start over and see only the router at first -- I was able to do that this morning by
  • powering off the router and computer, and removing the cable from router and computer
  • finding and using the modem's "reset" button
  • leaving the modem to itself for a few minutes to reorient itself
  • then attaching the router (only) to the modem, and turning on the router and leaving them for a few minutes
  • then attaching the router to the computer, and powering on the computer.
Perfect! Both computers are now on the internet, as they should be.

Thanks a million! :thumbsup:
Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. ~Standing Bear

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users