Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update Manager And Add/remove Programs Not Wanting To Function

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:32 AM

The update manager and the Add/Remove programs do not seem to be doing anything. It says I have 147 updates needed and I tried to install them via the install button, the whole box greyed out like it was downloading them but after leaveing it on over night still no progress the same with the add/remove programs menu. The only way I can get these boxes to close is by rebooting, but I feel I need the updates what do I do?
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:55 AM

You got Ubuntu 7.10. I can tell from your description of what happened. IMHO, it's the worst release Ubuntu has ever done. They focused so hard on eye candy, they screwed the rest of it up. First, fix part of it: Go to system on the menu bar, I can't remember if it's under administration or preferences, but you need to find the desktop effects and turn them off. I believe the setting you will be looking for is "none". Then you need to go to Ubuntu's forum and search for turning off desktop search. These 2 things should make 7.10 much more useable.

Next, force closing windows: hit alt F2, and type in
killall application name
...orrrrrrr go to system, administration, system manager and highlight the stalling app, then click end process, answer the popup (don't click wait). Rebooting without shutting down is just as damaging in a linux environment as any other os, it's not very friendly with your hardware either...particularly hard disks spinning down without being dismounted. As you go, you will find the need to force reboot is much more rare in Linux as you get to know it better.

My recommendation: Go back to Ubuntu, download fiesty fawn or dapper drake, format your hd and reinstall either of those. I made the mistake of upgrading to Gutsy Gibbon on one of my machines and I have had nothing but a media nightmare since, and this is a fairly powerful machine. However, there are some who have had great experiences with it...just not me. If you wan the newest version, I personally suggest you wait until they release the next LTS (long term support) version or go to Debian all together.

Edited by Joedude, 22 December 2007 - 10:56 AM.

If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:52 AM

alright sounds easy enough, but what about actually getting the updates?
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

#4 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:10 PM

once you do that, the "gray out" should stop, and the applications should run normally then.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

#5 Squirm

Squirm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:44 PM

why not just update via the command line? sudo apt-get update or sudo apt-get upgrade

#6 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2007 - 04:51 AM

I've found that if you gray out on Ubuntu 7.10, there's little you can do to stop it entirely other than go back to fiesty fawn, or dapper drake. He could command line apt-get, but that isn't fixing his problem with synaptic. As a newb, learning to use the command line is important, particularly apt-get. But the value of a graphical safety net like synaptic is a must for new guys.
DON'T DO IT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users