Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Wireless Connection Drops..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tmparsley

tmparsley

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:29 AM

We have a Time Warner cable package that has the cable, telephone and internet all in one...

I have a wireless connection, through a wireless router and it drops anytime somebody is on the telephone. I can't get it back up until the phone is hung up.

I'm assuming this is an ip address issue and don't even know where to begin to fix this problem... do i have to have a techy come out to take care of this or is this something i can do myself?

Thanks,
Tina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JebediahTBone

JebediahTBone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:00 PM

It's most likely not an IP Address issue at all. It sounds more like a wireless interference issue.

Do you have a cordless phone? It it anywhere near the wireless router? If so, move them apart from each other, preferrably to separate rooms. It could be that interference from the phone is causing the WLAN to fail.
-JtB

#3 tmparsley

tmparsley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:54 PM

We do, it seems that if the laptop is in the front two rooms of our house, it drops connections, NO MATTER WHERE THE CORDLESS IS.... the router is in the back of the house....

Is there anything I can do about that... since my living room is one of these rooms, and where i like to relax at night.... and surf the net... and with teenagers on the phone, this hasn't been happening!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

move the wireless phone base as far from the router as possible, change channels on phone, get a cordless that uses a different frequency
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 27 December 2007 - 07:49 PM

Try changing the channels on the cordless phone, if it operates in the 2.4GHz range (most cordless phones will indicate), it will probably cause signal attenuation | signal interference | signal loss.

If changing the channels on the phone doesn't work, i would advise getting a different cordless phone that operates in a different frequency range.
Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users