Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Ram And Computer Died

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

ok I had a stick of 512 and a 128mb ram in my computer and it worked great, another computer in the house's moniter went out and I took a stick of 512 out of it and put in mine in place of the 128mb and tried to boot. Only the fans came on and nothing on the monitors. I took out the new 512 and put the 128 back in and booted and mother board beeped at me ( no I dont know the sequence of beeps and have no manual about motherboard) so I took the 128 back out and tried to boot useing only the 512 which has worked in the past, now only the fans will come on and still nothing on the monitors and no beeping, I thought I might have put too much ram in too old of a machine so I tried to reset the mobo by removeing the battery waiting 30 seconds and replaceing it but that did no good. I also belive the new stick of ram I tried to put in had more pins than the one I have in the comp already, it came out of a slimline computer thats mother board is much smaller, but the ram looked the same at first glance. think I may have fried my computer please help.

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 02:10 AM.

Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blacklotus

blacklotus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:19 AM

One thing to try would be to turn off your system, unplug the power cord (or turn off your power strip), then hold the power button down for a good 40 seconds or so. If you listen close, you may hear a high pitched whirring sound. This is known as a 'power drain', and is a good thing to do always before and after installing pc parts. Often it will bring dead-seeming pc's back to life.

A couple things we'd need to continue further, though. Your current specifications, including your computer model (if it applies), your motherboard model if you know it, the speed of the ram (both old and new), whether or not the computer was plugged in during installation, and if you can recall, how many beeps you heard.

Installing ram can be difficult, especially on older motherboards. Sometimes you have to use two thumbs, one on heac side, and push quite hard to get both sides to snap into place. Try using that older 512 again, in it's original slot, and make sure both sides snap in and lock. Let me know how it goes.

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

ok its a hp Pavillion 532w not sure about the mother board and no the comp was not plugged in and I never took the original 512 out just the 128. as to the number of beeps Im going to say 6 to 10 beeps it was quite a few

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 03:11 AM.

Posted Image

#4 blacklotus

blacklotus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:22 AM

Alright, for me and others looking to help: Here's the motherboard. Looks like it can take either pc2100 or pc1600 ram, and comes with pc2100. Any idea what speeds the new/old ram sticks are? Usually there are little stickers on them with some numbers, if you can find them, post em for us =)

Edited by blacklotus, 22 December 2007 - 03:26 AM.

#5 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:32 AM

new one is 512mb 1Rx8 PC2-3200U-333-11A1
original old 512 is 512MB-DDR PC333
original old 128 is 128MB DDR 266mz CL2.5
I am only putting the two "old" ones back in the computer

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 03:32 AM.

Posted Image

#6 blacklotus

blacklotus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:50 AM

Just out of curiosity, what does it do when you place just the 128mb into the first slot, the one it was originally in, power drain it, and fire it up? I'm curious if it may be the ram settings being incorrectly stored by the motherboard. If that doesn't work, try removing the CMOS battery like you did earlier, but with just the 128mb in it. once you get it started in it's original configuration, if it does, you can try adding the old 512 back in.

#7 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:04 AM

beeped 8 times one beep pause three beeps pause three beeps pause and one beep end and didnt boot, just fans started back up ans also I forgot to mention that the power light on the power button has not came on through all of this.
also it checks the a and b drives because those drives light flash. Please dont tell me my computer is dead, my wife will kill me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 04:50 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:59 AM

you know I have tried it with just the 512 alone also and in the same configuration I had it in before it died with the 512 and 128 none of which will let it boot up, either beeps at me in its little computer curse words or does nothing but start the fans up and checks drives according to the link you posted I snooped around to find out what the beeps ment and it says to troubleshoot the ram or motherboard which I know how to do neither. Hopefully my computer is not fried but even if it is this is a good learning experience on how to fix stuff like this. I just wanted to borrow the ram while monitor was getting fixed and I have pretty much dug a grave for the computer now, guess this will teach me to leave things alone next time.

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 05:23 AM.

Posted Image

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

This happened to me when adding RAM to my Asus board. What I did was reset the CMOS settings and everything came to life.

Here's the section on resetting the CMOS on your board: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...p;lang=en#N1455

#10 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

ok tried that and when pluged the power cord back in fans came on without me hitting swich but that was all, turned swich off and waited 20 seconds and powered back up and again just the fans, this is with the old 128 ram still in the machine. This is frustrating.

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 09:35 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:36 AM

Okay. Try booting with no RAM installed. It should complain that there is no RAM. If it doesn't then the problem may lie elsewhere.

#12 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:40 AM

uh oh, did that with no ram and heard no complaints, no beeps, nothing but the fans once again
Posted Image

#13 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:50 AM

dont know if this has anything to do with it or not but just noticed that there seems to be a lot of heat radiating from the processor and while I have the case open I went ahead and cleaned out all the tiny specks of dust with a can of air.

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 09:52 AM.

Posted Image

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:52 AM

That's ambiguous...if you want to know whether your processor is overheating, check the temp in the BIOS or via software (BIOS is more reliable).

Louis

#15 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:54 AM

I would do that if I could get the thing to do more than turn the fans on. just tried that again and the Proc fan isnt coming on but the case fan is, this could be why it felt warm lol, also cannot access bios settings by F1

Edited by Nooodle, 22 December 2007 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users