Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer Gui Very Sluggish (and Other Graphics)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 blacklotus

blacklotus

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:44 AM

Hello everybody.
I've been working on an issue with my system for a couple days now. Couple days ago, my outlook express started popping up randomly. Everything else, including graphics, was working fine. I thought it odd, and suspected spyware. I restarted into safe mode with networking, ran some scans (housecall.trendmicro.com, superantispyware) and removed a few items. Upon rebooting, i got a BSOD (0xBE) dealing with vidstub.sys, stating that it was trying to write to read only memory. This i knew to be a component of BootSkin, a winxp skinning application i use. i restarted into safe mode, removed the offender from system32\, restarted, and got an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (0x0A) with no reference to any files. Everyone's favorite; i for one was overjoyed. After experimenting, I found i could SOMETIMES boot to VGA Mode. Either in normal mode or VGA mode, when the error occurred, it USUALLY occurred once the desktop and start menu hit, after the welcome screen. a couple times it happened while logging in during the 'loading your personal settings' bit. I restarted to safe mode again, removed my video drivers. Same issue. I removed all files and registry values associated with BootSkin, though there wasn't much, it just uses the one driver files (i think) to modify the boot screen. I removed all other skinning applications, desktopX, windowblinds, logonstudio. all gone. Same issue. I ran a chkdsk /r from the winxp recovery console. After a successful boot to VGA mode, i ran an SFC /Scannow using the winxp pro sp2 cdrom. I also uninstalled ZoneAlarm firewall, as i heard this can cause such an error. Well, one of those worked, as i can now boot into normal mode and operate normally. Almost. Everything is great, and windows response time is normal, except any games i play run like molasses in january. and i don't mean north carolina january, more like vermont january. The windows interface is sluggish as heck. windows open normal speed, but graphics in windows load slowly. windows, when dragged, leave trails. Icons underneath take 5-20 seconds to reappear. Here is what i have done so far to resolve this:

Disk cleanup. Another chkdsk. Remove all signs of ATI products left and reinstall both the most recent drivers, the drivers that came with the card, and the full ati catalyst suite from both. Before the first install, i reinstalled my chipset drivers. In between i have run driver cleaner, disk cleanup, and regcleaner. All drivers have been uninstalled in vga mode. I have done defrags until they run smooth as warm butter. All startups and non-microsoft services have been disabled. I've reinstalled and uninstalled all stardock windows skinning programs in case their uninstalls went wonky last time. I'm out of ideas, and google has none for me. I would greatly appreciate your assistance with this issue, as i'm running up the walls with this issue.

System Specs:

Ver: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
MB: DFI Infinity p965-S
CPU: Pentuim D 805 B0 3.30ghz (40c load)
RAM: 1024mb PC800 at 661mhz, 661mb avail
GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon x1600 256mb, driver version 6.14.10.6755
Resolution: 1280x1024 x60hz
Audio: Realtek HD Audio (onboard)

Attatched is my msinfo log if you need it. Again, thanks in advance to all that offer help. :thumbsup:
PS- i installed win vista x64 on another partition, and with all drivers loaded, it works great. I just can't port all my crap over to it.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:01 AM

If you open the Task Manager is anything hogging your CPU?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:07 AM

Honestly, it sounds like you've done pretty much everything that could be reasonably expected.

You may have given it, but...what errors are reflected in Event Viewer that might provide clues?

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:28 AM

First, I wonder if all the malware is off of the system - but that's awful hard to tell if the durned thing won't boot reliably!

Next, I'd stick with the x64 bit version if it's got the drivers that you need.

If that's the case, then it's just a matter of getting your stuff over to it. Please describe the difficulties so that we can assist with that (if that's what you're trying to do). Also, please remember that you'll be pulling stuff off of a drive that may be infected - so scan before moving/copying stuff!

If you still want to try and repair it, then I'd have to suspect that the removal of the items with Housecall has corrupted your Windows installation (and have seen these same issues before). As you've already done most of the fixes that we'd have suggested, I'd have to go with the repair install of XP at this point.

Before you do this, I'd have to suggest more anti-malware scans with different products (either online or freshly downloaded) to ensure that the system is clean. At work I insist upon 2 clean scans before I'll stop looking for malware. Once that's done you can try the procedure listed for a repair install here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

CAVEAT: If you've got IE7 installed, please follow these instructions first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

Edited by usasma, 22 December 2007 - 07:29 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 blacklotus

blacklotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:29 PM

Yes, I agree that i may very well be looking at a repair install. From what i can tell, it's acting as though the CPU is taking over the work of the GPU. Everything is 0-1% load while idle, but move a window or play a game that used to take 10-15% cpu, and cpu jumps to 80-100% for the respective application. Things like encoding and zipping seem to work just as fast as normal, faster in fact because of all the cleanup i've done. I just hate to do a full reload or transfer to vista, because of all the patching and reinstalling i'd have to do. In fact, my current windows is probably about 4 years old, and with regular maintenance and modifications, it's worked fine since, besides a few hiccups. Also includes 4 years of tweaking to get it just the way i need it for work. Basically, it's acting like safe mode at a higher resolution. Dual monitors still work, can still run at 1280x1024, themes are working and all that so i know the drivers are being used, but the card isn't being utilized by windows. I'd generally suspect the card, but on the vista install it works fine. No messages in the even viewer, other than random dhcp errors and errors related to autocad/maya liscences. Actually, the best description i can think of for the way it's acting is that it feels like it's not using the video card's video memory, and forgetting to share processing with the gpu. If anyone has any tricks to try before i try a repair, let me know :thumbsup:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

Let me introduce you to...backup strategy and implementation :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:27 PM

Have you ran the DirectX tests? I'm assuming your using the latest version of DirectX.
X

#8 blacklotus

blacklotus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:36 PM

Indeed i'm using dx 9.0c. I ran the dxdiag tests, they passed, but had slight lag and artifacts on the last test. You may be on to something. Possibly corrupt dx files? Is there a direct X cleaner out there?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:40 PM

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DirectX+cleaner

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=DirectX+uninstaller

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users