Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet access

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DCH

DCH

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 25 February 2005 - 01:05 PM

Howdy Everyone,

This will be my first question of the board. I hope I that I will word it clearly.

I will be going out of the country Sunday (2/27) for a couple of weeks. I have internet service with MSN. I set up a hotmail account so I can check my e-mail while I am gone. Since setting up this mailbox 2 weeks ago, I have randomly received e mails (2) from msn telling me that I need to vist the MSN hotmail web site to verify my password. Unless I do this I can no longer send or receive e-mail.

My concern is that for the first week of my trip I will not have access to a computer and will have no idea if my e-mail has been suspended because I have not visted the hot mail site as instructed. Finally the question.

Will any incoming e-mail be saved where I can retrieve it in case I miss going to the hot mail site when asked ?

Last question.

Is reading my e-mail the only thing I can do while I am away ? In other words, is there a way I can have full access to my computer as if I were home ? For instance I would like to be able to up-load pictures from my camera.

I hope I have posed these questions clearly. If not, please ask me to clarify and I will get right on it. Thanks in advance for your help.

Take Care,
Dennis :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 08:50 PM

I can answer the first question easily enough. To keep your Hotmail account active, you must visit it once every thirty days. So just do that before leaving, and you will be OK.
Your Email will be retrieved until your in-box reaches the maximum storage limit, after which any incomming email will be "bounced" back to the sender.
You will need to compare the number of Emails you receive daily to the inbox limit to decide if you have a problem. As I remember, Junk Email counts to your limit, but it is emptied periodically to the trash folder which does not count.

I can answer part of your second question. Yes, there are ways to access your computer from a remote location;however, the computer must be turned on, and I seriously wonder whether you would like to leave it on whilst you are away for that length of time.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 DCH

DCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:26 PM

John, thanks for the help. What trouble might I expect if I leave the computer on ??

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:38 PM

Since the computer is an electrical appliance, it would have the same problem as with any such machine. In addition, there could be a problem with an electrical surge, or if the fan(s) should stop, with serious damage from overheating. Unless you have someone to monitor it during your absence, you would be taking a chance.
You could retrieve your Emails from any computer, so the only reason to leave it on would be to store pictures as you take them. Most places have facilities for downloading your pics to a disk, so why take the risk?
Regards,
John

#5 DCH

DCH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:52 PM

Thanks John. Last question of the day (I promise). How do I get full access to the computer while I am away ? Someone will be home 24/7 and I will ask that it be turned on at a designated time.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

Someone else with more actual experience with this will have to answer your question. I just know that it can be done.......
You might want to start a NEW thread entitled "Remote Access" "How is it done" so this will get some attention.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 25 February 2005 - 10:13 PM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:51 AM

Sorry I did not see your post til now . Full access try :

TZO
GoToMyPC
No-IP

There are a bunch more this is just a short list. TZO is built into some routers . DLink Linksys and a few more I can't remember rigth now . Once there linked you can use VNC to control the remote computer like you were sitting at the desk .
RealVNC

I hope this helps .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users