Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I've been hacked - help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:21 PM

Hi there. I am SUCH a newbie that the term newbie doesn't apply to me.

The reason I think my Win 98 Dell has been hacked is because no matter what icon I click on the desktop after the computer has been booted up, I get an error box that says "Drive: C is full" and then a request to Try Again or Work Offline - but I'm not ON line!

I've got Netzero platinum, regular dial-up modem, yet last night as I was using Yahoo! to search for something, I was slammed with so many pop-up ads that kept covering each other that I couldn't get the thing to stop. After about 10 minutes, it stopped adding more ads to the pop-ups, and I was able to close each of the popups, save for about the last 5. That's when the computer screen froze and no matter where I clicked the mouse, I got a default "ding" sound and it wouldn't respond.

This afternoon, I went home at lunch to see if it was still fubar, and yes it still is.

However, I DID know enough to End Task and Shut Down my way around the frozen screens (no matter if it was checking for Control Panel, or even the Start button, it froze) - I was able to get the Control Panel open and get in and look around the Add/Remove Programs icon.

There was one - upapp -- that I didn't recognize or know what it did, but when I tried to click and delete/remove, it froze the screen. Ha!

AND - here's the kicker - when I actually got the Start button to work (and not have the screen freeze), on the top part of the options below New Office Document, Windows Catalogue, Windows Update, etc.. there are now 2 new icons.. one says DATING (with a white box with blue banner at the top, like a mini blank screen) and XXX (with a white box with blue banner at the top again).

Is there ANYONE that can shed some light on what's happened - if indeed I have been hacked or caught a virus or something - and, more importantly, how to fix it?

No, I don't have anti-virus software loaded (but I did buy it at lunch and plan to put it on after this is fixed), but I DO have Ad-Aware on the computer, but I can't get to the icon without the screen freezing. (I guess I could, but it would just freeze up anyway!).

HELP!

Feel free to email me too. I'm at work, and can get online during normal business hours.

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:
Shannon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

Do me a favor and try the following:

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode and delete the following files:

Then,

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip

or here:

http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers & Spyware

#3 Shannon

Shannon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

Thank you for the speedy reply!

However, you said to DELETE THE FOLLOWING FILES:

But I don't see what files to delete. <scratching head>

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:25 PM

Ignore the deleting files part :thumbsup: Just do everything else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users