Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Key Registry

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tripp

tripp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

Hey guys, im new to the board.

i have a question.

I recently got the trojan vundo virus. got rid of it (i think).

Now, whenever i start windows i get a prompt saying c:\window\system32\vncbtrxd.dll could not be found.
Computer runs normal, too.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks.

Edited by tripp, 21 December 2007 - 06:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

I have moved your post to the "Am I Infected" for 2 reasons. First you say you were infected and 'think' you have it cleaned. Second that .dll file does not come up in a google search which most likely means it's malware related. I suggest the malware team advise you. Thats why this post is here. Best of luck.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:33 PM

From what you describe in regards to the error message, the file is probably an orphaned entry related to a program (or malware) that was set to run at startup. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file may have been removed during an anti-virus or anti-malware scan, the uninstall of a program or use of a specialized fix tool. However, an associated registry entry remains and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up.

When Windows loads, it looks for any files associated with registry entries for programs that are set to run at startup. If the file was removed but not the registry entry, Windows will display an error message indicating that the file was not found. You need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the program when it loads.

To resolve this, download and run Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns and extract (unzip) the file there. (click here if your not sure how to do this.)
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.
  • Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file in the error message.
  • Right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.
Please follow the the instructions for using Vundofix in BC's self-help tutorial: "How To Remove Vundo/Winfixer Infection".

After running VundoFix, a text file named vundofix.txt will have automatically been saved to the root of the system drive, usually at C:\vundofix.txt. Please copy & paste the contents of that text file into your next reply.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 tripp

tripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Thanks quietman. i forgot to mention im running XP. does that make a difference for removal?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:40 PM

The instructions I provided are for XP.

#6 tripp

tripp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

ok. i ran autoruns and deleted the registry. the prompt does not come up anymore upon start up.
ran superantispyware and deleted some spyware.
now everytime i run the antispyware i get 2 files that are infected on the C\:SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE...

how can i delete these files?
can they be deleted on autoruns?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inexperience.

Edited by tripp, 27 December 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2007 - 08:04 AM

The infected RP***\A0000**** file(s) identified by your scan are in the System Volume Information Folder (SVI) which is a part of System Restore. This is the feature that allows you to set points in time to roll back your computer to a clean working state. The SIV folder is protected by permissions that only allow the system to have access and is hidden by default unless you have reconfigured Windows to show it.

System Restore will back up the good as well as the bad files so when malware is present on the system it gets included in any restore points. When you scan your system with anti-virus or anti-malware tools, you may receive an alert or notification that a virus was found in the System Volume Information folder (System Restore points) but the anti-virus software was unable to remove it. Since the System Volume Information folder is a protected directory, most scanning tools cannot access it to disinfect or delete these files. If not removed, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point.

To fix this, you need to Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state and use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent restore point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users