Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Someone Validate My Method Of Installing A New Gpu?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Asch

Asch

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

To be specific, the eVGA 8600GT. I've been doing some researching and came up with a step-by-step list of what to do when installing a new GPU. Can anyone confirm that my method is valid and works? If not, please, recommend me a more thorough list.

Go to Start > Run and type in sysdm.cpl and click ok. Click on the Hardware tab, then Device Manager button. Expand Display Adapter and then right click on your display adapter and select Disable.

Disable anti-virus software.

Turn off the computer.

Install the video card.

Turn on the computer. When the Found New Hardware Wizard comes up and tells you about finding a new video card, cancel the Wizard.

Double-click on the new Nvidia driver package on the Desktop to start installation of the new drivers and follow the installation prompts.

Reenable your anti-virus software.

Restart the computer.

Open Display Properties and make the adjustments you wish to screen resolution and color resolution.

Also, this is on a pre-built. And to be quite frank, I have a 300w PSU that came with it (eMachine T6532), and am not sure that the 8600GT would be able to handle it. My main dilemma is I can't exactly buy a PSU AND GPU at the same time (Christmas gifts ftl). So, is it possible that I could run the 8600GT just for a little while and get a new PSU in a week or so?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:20 PM

I would wait for a power supply. You'll have to disable your anti-virus software when you reboot. The anti-virus programs are fixed to start when you start your computer so if you disable it shut down, do what you got to do and reboot, it's going to start back up. If you have onboard video, you'll probably have to disable that in the BIOS
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2007 - 07:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users