Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Countdown To "bogdown"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 SJ8005

SJ8005

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:46 PM

To put the problem in a nutshell: Any internet session slows dramatically after about 10-15 minutes of surfing...

At first I thought the problem was related to IE6, so I went to IE7...same problem. Then, just today, downloaded Mozilla Firefox...same thing. After about 10-15 minutes of web surfing, my internet session slows to a crawl and even won't load any pages. It "seems" that after about 10 minutes of web inactivity (shutdown the current browser), everything is fine...for about 10 minutes, then same thing.

I have a total of 4 devices connected to the internet (2 desktops, 1 laptop, 1 Xbox360) via the same cable modem/wireless router. Only my computer, connected to the modem by ethernet cable, has these "bogdown" issues.

I always keep my drivers, virus signatures, spyware data files, etc up to date and scan/check routinely...

I read on this website that MS security fix "KB942615" was causing issues similiar to what I'm experiencing, but that fix doesn't appear to be installed on my PC. At least it doesn't show up under Add/Remove programs. Is there another way to find if this suspected "fix" is installed on my machine?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:51 PM

Go to WinUpdate and review your installed history.

Louis

#3 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:24 PM

Okay...How do I open WinUpdate? Can I uninstall the suspected "fix" from there if I find it?

Thanks

#4 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:28 AM

Sorry for last reply, didn't realize what you meant. Went to MS Windows Update and viewed the download and install history for this PC...and found that the hotfix KB942615 was downloaded and installed recently...

The info displayed for the hot fix said I could remove it via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, but the "hotfix" isn't listed. So how can I uninstall it? I'm not really sure if this hotfix is causing the problem. I would post the link to the thread that I read it in but I'm afraid if I leave this window my PC my "bogdown" again and I'll have to start over (argh).

I did notice that the hotfix mentioned was for IE7, so I don't understand why Firefox would also be affected...??

Anyone?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

Well, I didn't mean to imply that your assessment re the hotfix was accurate :thumbsup:, I just wanted you to know how to check updates installed for XP.

What type of connection do you have? Have you consulted your ISP (they do have problems, particularly DSL lines which are saturated by users)? Have you tried to repair your Internet connection?

Taken a look in Event Viewer for info re system problems that may be related?

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

What I would do (if I experienced slowness of any sort): When it happens, immediately open Task Manager and take a look at what's using up CPU cycles, applications and processes.

Louis

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:00 AM

That is a noodle scratcher. The KB942615 update has caused IE to crash for a lot of people, but I haven't heard of if affecting browsing speed nor Firefox.

In any case it won't hurt to uninstall it until MS fixes this fix.

On the Add/Remove window, there should be a checkbox labeled "Show Updates". Make sure it is checked. The hotfix should be listed under the Windows Internet Explorer 7 - Software Updates entry near the bottom of the list (if it's sorted alphabetically). Just match the KB number on the entry with the KB number of the update notice (KB942615).

Further suggestions:

Before removing the hotfix, disconnect from the internet and disable any active virus or malware scanners.

After removing the hotfix, shut down the computer, reconnect any cabling for internet access, and restart (making sure that any scanners that were disabled are reactivated).

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 22 December 2007 - 10:01 AM.

#7 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:55 AM

hamluis - I have a cable modem with a wireless router built in. I have a 5MB "connection" with my ISP. I have not contacted my ISP over this problem because it only seems related to my PC. No problems accessing or browsing for extended times with any other PC's (wife's laptop, son's desktop) using the modem. For example, I'm using my son's desktop to post this and was browsing the internet for 45 mins prior to checking back here for any suggestions on this topic. The only difference, connection-wise, is that my PC is the only one connected directly to the modem (ethernet cable), the rest connect wirelessly. I have not tried to repair the internet connection yet. Do you think I should?

I have tried, several times, to take a look at the task manger when this happens and have found nothing hogging up resources or anything...

The event viewer did show an alert, which may be related, but almost seems random. By random I mean it doesn't log every time I have the problem, but this is it:

"4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts"

Andrew - I did find that the mentioned Hotfix was installed and located it in Control Panel, thanks to your tip. I will uninstall via your instructions and see what happens.

Thanks so much for your help.

#8 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:28 PM

I have posted a HiJackThis logfile on this site in the appriorate forum (labeled Browser Slow Down). I did notice a BHO titled "Browser Address Redirect Error" with a filename BAE.dll that I'm a little suspiciouos of. After doing a little online research of that filename, I think I may delete it (using HiJackThis) but I'm not sure.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Seeing as you've posted a HJT log, you shouldn't make any changes to your computer unless instructed to do so by a HJT Team member.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:33 PM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

If you are going the HJT route, you should not fiddle with your system unless directed to do so as part of the HJT process.

Louis

#11 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

Okay, I'll won't make any changes. Is "going the HJT route" a less-than-desireable approach or something?

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,255 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

No. But making changes after posting a log complicates the process for the HJT Team. Forum policy is that once a log has been posted only the HJT Team should work on it util they declare you clean. It just makes things a whole lot simpler for all parties. (Plus you don't wanna upset the HJT Team: they're a surly bunch, they are!)

#13 SJ8005

SJ8005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

I completely understand the "don't mess with it if their trying to fix it" approach :thumbsup: . I just thought that ANY additional info would help.

But let me add a wrinkle: During my last bit of web surfing/troubleshooting using IE7, the inevitable happen, can't access any web pages after 10-15 minutes and, as usual, got the "Explorer can not display the requested page, blah, blah". I failed to notice before, on this very page, is an MS uitilty (xpnetdiag.exe, as it turns out) to diagnose your network connection. Clicked the link, small window pops up, ran it's course and displayed a message saying that "it' can't access HTTP, HTTPS or FTP and is probably casued by my firewall. It stated to check that HTTP port (80), HTTPS port (443) and FTP port (21) should be open (or something to those words).

Bear with me, almost there...I checked the settings on my firewall profile(Trend Micro PC-cillin). I use the default direct internet connection profile and found that those ports are not "checked" in the profile. But, before I changed anything I thought I would check my other computers first, both which use the same firewall and profile. The aforementioned ports are also NOT checked or open on those computers and they have no problems. So, now I'm really confused.

Could the windows message be referring to my router firewall settings? Admittedly, I don't know enough about ports to know which ones should be open, etc, but why would I be able to access the web at normal speed for a short time, then nothing, if these "required" ports weren't open in the first place?

Sorry so long, this one's got my brain scrambled...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users