Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost Use Of Keyboard Launch Buttons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Penn Hess

Penn Hess

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

After cleaning up from a virus attack. I can not use the special buttons on the keyboard to launch internet explorer, help, or change the volume.

I am running WindowXP SP2.

I have tried removing the keyboard and letting XP find the new hardware and install it automatically but the extra buttons still don't work.

I think KBD.exe was one of the files lost in the infection. All of the installation files are in a separate partition on the harddrive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Welcome to BC
Do you have the disk that came with the keyboard? What is the make/model of the keyboard? It should say on the bottom
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

You can usually download the software for the keyboard from the Compaq Support website (look for downloads and drivers).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Penn Hess

Penn Hess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:20 PM

garmanma,

No the PC came preloaded and everything is in a partition on the harddrive.

usasma,

I thought that I had tried that already but this time I found an updated driver and all is well.

thank you both for your help. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users