Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Won't Defrag + Scan Disc Stops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 genthore

genthore

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:16 PM

I tried to defrag my fathers hard drive on his windows xp sp2 based Dell system and it couldn't defrag certain .BIN files. Where it shows you the color coded analysis of your fragmented hard drive there are many larger areas that are totally red (fragmnented files) I tried to run scan disc and it got to stage 4 of 5 and scanned up until 59% and then stopped.
I know he tried installing some Norton System Works program and it didnt complete installation - he tried to "go back " after installation failed and it gave him some error message which I wasn't there to see. He has Norton Antivirus 2007 (against my recommmendations) installed also.

Could those .BIN files that I can't defrag be something from Norton System Works ? Is there any way for me to get rid of them without removing Norton Antivirus ? Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

As I understand it, .bin files can be just about anything.

http://www.iceteks.com/articles.php/binfile/1

I guess I don't know what you mean when you say you couldn't defrag .bin files.

Hopefully, you meant that you tried to run chkdsk /r or chkdsk from My Computer, rather than "scan disc" or (worse) NSW.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html Be sure to insert check marks in both boxes.

I used NAV for about 5 years and NIS for another. If you want to uninstall NSW completely, you need to try using Removing your Norton program using SymNRT - http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...v=&osv_lvl=

Louis

A drive which needs to have chkdsk run...normally will have trouble defragging. Chkdsk runs first, then defrag.

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2007 - 05:00 PM.

#3 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

It sounds like he went a little overboard with downloading bin files, pretty much the only source of them?

In as much as he has been using questionable P2P software, I would do the full virus/malware scans from safe mode,
""if the shoe fits, wear it", practice safe hex!

Delete the bin files, free up some space and try again. Sounds like the kid in the candy shop syndrome.

Been there, done that!
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#4 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:10 PM

I right clicked on the hard drive icon and clicked properities -a menu came up- I checked both boxes and it started scanning- not sure what it is called. It stopped at 59% in step 4 of 5. Prior to doing that - I tried to defragment the drive from the accessories/system tools menu, it worked for a while however it popped up a window saying it couldn't defrag some NSAVE.BIN folders- I am assuming that they refer to some crap he downloaded when he was prompted to renew his subscription to norton av. Somehow he ended up dl'ing norton system works and it failed to install. He is a total nOOb when it comes to computers and he did that before I got there. I just want to know how to find those .BIN files and am wondering if I can't defrag them, will I be able to delete them without running some kind of cleanup tool from norton ?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:22 PM

I right clicked on the hard drive icon and clicked properities -a menu came up- I checked both boxes and it started scanning- not sure what it is called.

That's Error Checking.
Have you tied booting into Safe Mode, and then running Error Checking, followed by Defragging?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 genthore

genthore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:18 PM

I don't have access to the machine since it is at my Dad's house but I will try to run those again in safe mode. My concern is what that NSAVE.BIN file is and whether or not I can safely delete it. I am going to try to search for it via "search" in the start menu. I just don't want to delete anything that might cause Norton AV to stop working. Is it possible that .BIN is protected/encrypted and related to the failed installation and removal of Norton System Works?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users