Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Compaq 4300us Hd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

I am removing the HD on a Compaq Presario 4400US and to make enough room to slide it out I had to remove the fan assembly, but the black plastic bracket it is attached to is still in the way.

This is attached to the heat sink, I need to remove it and it does not look as if the entire heat sink needs to be removed in order to do this, but I cann't figure out how it should be moved.

Will appreciate your instructions.

Ah-Oh ! Better Get Mako !

I think I'm going to have to move the cage, sorry to bother you.

Edited by Jove, 21 December 2007 - 01:35 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:21 PM

Hardware Reference Guide
Compaq Presario 4000 Series Computer
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/bpb12727.pdf

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:22 PM

Sometimes you can remove the front bezal, and slide it out that way
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 21 December 2007 - 02:23 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:01 PM

Hi Mark,

OK I have it out and installed into an external enclosure, . .problem ?, . . .
It has not appeared in the New Hardware found message and I do not see it anywhere else, . not in My Computer and not in Device Manager, . .I have followed instruction to get into computer management and tried to get the Lauch New Hardware or Disk Wizard but could not get it, . .

Hold On I just got it Buzzing and Located It ! Thank you .

This post has been edited by Jove: Today, 03:11 PM

Here are some of the instructions from help, . . .

To initialize new disks
Open Computer Management (Local).
In the console tree, click Disk Management.
Where?

Computer Management (Local)
Storage
Disk Management

Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.
In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize.
The disk is initialized as a basic disk.

Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and
Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to
complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings
might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

New disks appear as Not Initialized. Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it.
If you start Disk Management after adding a disk, the Initialize Disk Wizard appears so you can
initialize the disk.

I think that simply pugging this into the USB port should have stirred up some results ?

Hold On I just got it Buzzing and Located It ! Thank you .

Edited by Jove, 21 December 2007 - 03:12 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

That's like most HPs. You can remove the front bezel by grabbing it on the bottom and pulling it out towards you. It has catches on the bottom and little pivots on the top.

The Hard Drive cage can then be removed by taking out the 3 screws on the front and the 1 screw on the inside of the cage. Disconnect all of the cables and then slide the cage straight back about 3/8" to "unhook" it. The whole cage should come out, taking the floppy as well as hard drive(s).

Check out the manual that just me linked to for diagrams.

If you are not seeing any Hard Drive after you have installed it into the new enclosure, I would try a different Hard Drive, just to be certain it isn't the new enclosure interface that is giving problems.

DR

Edited by rigacci, 21 December 2007 - 03:07 PM.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:28 PM

Thanks DR
It's up and running, I disconnected all the plugs reconnected them and it fired up.

When I opened it I found the following;

Posted Image

I would like to delete all of this it is the OS programming from the 4300US which had WXP-SP1 installed on it,

if I delete all of this can I then replace the HD back in the 4300US and reinstall SP-2 ?

Edited by Jove, 21 December 2007 - 03:33 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:39 PM

After you delete that stuff you can reinstall Windows FIRST and then Service Pack 2. You cannot expect to remove or delete folders and only reinstall SP-2. Your OS discs probably came with SP-1 in them already. A lot coem with SP-2 already included.

Have you some original XP discs, for a full install? (and the product key)

DR

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:04 PM

When I purchased this Compaq Presario 4400US, it only came with three of this type disc,
1. (Red Label), Compaq Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home, (only for use with Compaq Restore CD)

2.Restore Supplemental Software Additional Applications

3. Compaq Restore Plus ! Start with this CD for Restore
The above are SP1

I have a the MS WXP-SP2 CD.

But at this time I am still not sure what is contained in the SP1 disc, previously I have read many times concerning using the "factory" to find drivers etc. for replacing and installing, I have never had the opportunity to use one of these in such a way as HP did not provide me with one.

In any case many times I have wanted to look into the contents of these disc but they are not designed to navigate through, I believe that they just run to install, etc.

So, this all leaves me with the original question, Are all of the files to get started again from a clean disk available on the MS-WXR-SP2, or the WXP- SP1 Restore disc ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:14 PM

If you have a disk that says Windows xp SP2, it has everything that was in SP1
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:17 PM

Ok,
Than does that include the OS files that I would be deleting from the HD that I now have in the HD External Enclosure, as depicted in the previous SCRNSHT ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#11 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

You need both the Restore CD and the WinXP CD. (actually, you don't really need the restore CD either but Compaq prefers you use it).

First, you insert the Restore CD and it will quiz you as to what OS you want to reinstall. You need to select XP Home, if that is what the OS disk says on it.

It will go through an initial setup and then will ask you to insert the OS disk. Once that starts, it will load up the OS, as it was when it left the factory, probably with SP-1 as well. EVERYTHING you had on there before will be gone, so pull off any data files or pictures before you start this process.

Then you just need to use the SP-2 disk to do the upgrade to SP-2 and then you will need to download the 90 or so new updates since SP-2.

Good luck.

DR

BTW, download all of the drivers for that machine before you start this. They SHOULD all be on the disk but you can never be sure.

Edited by rigacci, 21 December 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:34 PM

Thanks DR,
I need to quiz you further, I wish I had a spare HD right now so I could try to determine exactly what the restore disk will do, but I am assuming that your right, and that the either I may need the Compac Operating System CD,
and upgrade using the MS WXP-SP2, or better just use the MS-WXP-SP2 first as I may not need to upgrade.

However, if I ;

"download all of the drivers for that machine before you start this. They SHOULD all be on the disk but you can never be sure"

This would not be possible on that particular computer since it will not at that time have an, OS, . .
so, I am taking it that in order to have these prior to the installation I must download them from another computer, save the D/L to a disk, then upload them if needed, correct ?

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

You got it! :thumbsup:

First, from another computer, download all of the drivers. (search for them on Compaqs support page by your model number)

Burn them to a CD and have them available to install when needed.

Usually, the Network Driver is the first I install. Then, you should be able to connect the computer to the internet and download the rest.

At the price of an 80GB hard drive, I would go for a new one. You never know how much longer an old hard drive will last.

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users