Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Janet E

Janet E

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:16 AM

I also am having a problem with svchost.exe utilizing more than 90% of my CPU. I usually go into Task Mgr and End the Process that is causing the problem, but that is a temporary fix. It comes right back the next time I reboot.
Went to Microsoft's website and they are aware of the issue, saying it was caused by their Automatic Updates corrupting a svchost module. They have a download for it, but unfortunately, I lack the Administrator access to download it.
(This is my work Computer)

Anyone have a simple solution that I can apply? OR, is there some Trojan, Virus, etc that is masking itself as this exe?

Thanks!
P.S. Today my laptop took 45 mins to boot up, because of this issue. Can't get to Task Mgr while it is in Boot mode.
I am on a Dell D610, running XP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:18 AM

Yes. Talk to whoever IS the admin, since it is her/his responsibility.

If it impacts your system (assuming there are more systems where you work), chances are it's a more widespread problem that he/she needs to be on top of.

Louis

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Talk to the IT folks and cite the Microsoft reference. You can verify this by "TEMPORARILY" turning off Automatic Updates (if you can) and seeing if it reduces the svchost.exe utilization (after a reboot).

If IT won't listen, take it to your boss, to their boss, etc, etc, etc until you reach the top of the chain. If, at that point, they still don't care - then I'd start to wonder if this was the right job for me.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users