Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do You Overclock?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jrlkrudco

jrlkrudco

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:11 AM

How do you over clock in kinda simple terms (if you can)? whats good about overclocking? and whats bad about overclocking?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:08 PM

Good:
Performance increase, at no additional cost.

Bad:
Additional heat generated, resulting in shorter component life, if not properly addressed.
System instability.

How to:
Motherboard, Memory, & CPU - Overclocking Guide
Overclocking Guide
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

Tech Report just made A Beginners Guide To Overclocking.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

Overclocking can provide a significant performance boost, at the cost of increased heat. Heat, as you may know, kills computers. If you're planning on overclocking, you should also invest in a good cooling solution; don't rely on the fans that come with a component (like the CPU) to provide adequate cooling.

You should also determine whether you current hardware supports overclocking. Many "off the shelf" PCs have hardware-level locks which prevent overclocking.

But there are O/C friendly manufacturers out there too. Asus, for one, builds overclocking controls right into the BIOS setup program of the motherboard.

Another tip: buy a CPU model that's been out for a year or two. The very latest CPU's are usually already pretty close to their max tolerance whereas a model that's been out for a year has had time for the specs to be tweaked and the overclocking overhead to increase.

For example, I use an Intel Celeron D processor. This model was released in late 2005 and has a stock speed of 2.66GHz. Right now, I'm running it at 3.2 GHz, and I have had it up as high as 3.427GHz. An impressive leap for a moderately priced, year old (at time of purchase) model of Intel's "bargain" line of processors.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

Asus A8V Deluxe

CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64 3500+
CPU Alias Venice S939
CPU Stepping DH-E3
CPUID CPU Name AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3000+
CPUID Revision 00020FF0h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 2249.80 MHz
CPU Multiplier 9.0x
CPU FSB 249.98 MHz (original: 200 MHz, overclock: 25%)
Memory Bus 249.98 MHz

Temperatures:
Motherboard 28 C (82 F)
CPU 31 C (88 F)
GPU 39 C (102 F)

2 years and still going strong, never had any luck with older amd's

I did run this one at 45% OC for about a year but figured I was pushing my luck

Edited by DaChew, 22 December 2007 - 01:34 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

If you want more performance it would probably be best to purchase a new CPU instead of takign the big risk of Over-Clocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users