Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Services

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

Hi everyone,

Firstly, a Merry Christmas to all.

I had a little problem yesterday with an HP Pavilion 6000. The initial complaint was resolved but when I tried to install Lavasoft's Adaware 7.0, the installation had to be terminated when it could not start the service. An error was displayed stating that the service could not be started and to ensure I had sufficient rights. I went into services and tried to manually start the service while the message was waiting for a response..the message from services stated that the service did not respond in a timely manner. each time the installation of adaware had to be cancelled. the issue is still not resolved.

I had run a non destructive xp restore from the recovery partition to resolve a browser hi jack...anyone have any ideas?...the best I can post right now is a dxdiag report as i do not have the computer with me...

thanks for your help,

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:21 AM

Well...do you have admin rights?

And what service are you referring to...what is the exact name, please?

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:11 AM

It sounds like you may still be infected, without wiping the hdd you can't be assured that you have taken care of the infection.

If you are using Firefox try downloading Adaware but do not open it yet. Reboot into safe mode and then open Firefox, go to tool, downloads and open Adaware while in safe mode.

If you aren't familiar with safe mode it is a diagnostic mode which runs a minimum of applications and is the most effective mode to run your security scans. To enter safe mode on most computers you will need to start tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer is turned on and continue until you get the black screen with white lettering with Safe Mode at the top of the column of choices. Use the up arrow key to move the cursor up till it is on the Safe Mode and enter.

*I would like to point out that if you are not currently using Firefox for you browser you might want to consider it as there are security advantages in using it over Internet Explorer.

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2007 - 11:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Thank you for your replies.

The OS on the notebook is XP..with 1GB RAM. It is a HP Pavilion 6000. The account was an administrator account. When initially looking at the system, there was a program shortcut on the desktop called reg scrubber and another called Ccleaner.

I am relatively advanced as a user goes, maybe a bit more than a power user but not quite an MCSE..ha ha ha..anyway, the original complaint was that when she used the MLS (she is a Realtor), explorer kept clearing the search fields when the back button was used to return to the search criteria page. this is unusual so i decided to take a look at it..she was running explorer 6.0 so I decided to upgrade to IE7..this is when the probs manifested themselves and I noticed that there were more sinister issues at hand.

I tried connecting after restarting and found the browser kept defaulting to msn.autosearch....I tried changing the home page and found the issue still remained. IE7 kept saying that the web page could not be opened...there was an active connection to the internet as well...I ran adaware albeit without being able to update it first and it alerted me to a browser hijack attempt..as suspected. I could actually connect to the net when starting Windows in safe mode, but updates could not be successful in that mode...

I backed up crucial data and ran a non destructive recovery from the recovery partition. All was great when I re-started and even when I installed IE7 again the connection worked. However, when attempting to install adaware 07, an error occured when it attempted to start the service..the message was to make sure I had sufficient privelages etc. I went directly to the services and tried to start the adaware service but got a message that suggested the service did not respond in a timely manner.

I allowed xp to download and install the 79 updates but this was no help either. I wrote a report for the woman suggesting that there were still possibilites that the system was infected. She was not charged for the repair, but my wife is pushing me to charge her for future repair work..that's another story...anyway, I had assumed that there was still malware on the system and made this evident in the report that she would require a destructive recovery..to do this I will use active killdisk to write 0's to the hard drive and then re-install.

if there are any other suggestions, please do not hesitate to let me know of them. thank you so much for your time and suggestions, have a great holiday and a fantastic new year.

Darren

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 21 December 2007 - 06:50 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:13 PM

What exactly are you referring to as a "non-destructive" recovery?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

i suppose that must be HP's own way of referring to restoring the XP registry (non destructive \ windows repair) and wiping out the HDD and re-installing from scratch (destructive)..sorry for the ambiguity...i guess destructive and non destructive are valid only in HP vocab book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users