Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JR1955

JR1955

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:05 AM

I have gotten 2 older PC's for free,, 1 is a clean system with OS 2000 on it,, the other has no hard drive but has a sticker on it that says it had come with OS XP,, could i just swap the one hard drive to the other PC ? I'd like to see how this other PC works and what its made of,, just as a project. Would there be any issues and what kind of issues

Thanks
jr1955

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

I would imagine one challenge would be to get the drivers for the hardware on the XP box - note that they need to be 2000 drivers.
Another bigger concern is Windows licensing - in some versions of Windows, if it detects a major change in the hardware configuration (such as the motherboard), the OS may complain. Maybe other people on the board with more experience in this can contribute.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 Grdn1014

Grdn1014

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 12:50 PM

Do you have the installation CDs for the XP OS? Otherwise I wouldn't do it. Find a cheap hard disk, format it and fresh install some OS you have.

Moving a hard disk with an OS installed on it from one computer to another in general is a sketchy thing.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

The following is an excerpt from this article, more information from Microsoft can be seen here.

"If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer and you may not be able to start Windows."

What this means is that if you take a hdd out of one computer and install it in another you will probably have to reinstall the OS, to avoid the hassle I just go ahead and wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Without the OS installation CD I can see how this could be frustrating for you.

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2007 - 01:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users