Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horse Generic9.xld

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpmaurice

jpmaurice

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:33 AM

Hello

My explorer use (both win explorer and internet explorer) is terrorised by an AVG pop up warning about a Trojan.
What do I have to fix in my software and how ?

Thanks in advance and kind regards. JPMaurice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:01 PM

Did your scan provide a specific file name associated with this malware threat and if so, where is it located (full file path) at on your system?

"Generic Trojan" is a heuristic detection and a name provided to possible new variants of malware. AVG uses heuristic detection which incorporates the ability of an anti-virus program to detect new viruses before the vendor can get samples and update the program's definitions for detection. Heuristics uses non-specific detection methods to find new or unknown malware which allows the anti-virus to detect and stop if before doing any harm to your system. The techniques involves inspecting the code in a file to see if it contains virus-like characteristics. If the number of these characteristics/instructions exceeds a pre-defined threshold, the file is flagged as a possible virus.

The disadvantage to using heuristics is that it is not as reliable as signature-based detection (blacklisting) and can potentially increase the chances that a non-malicious program is flagged as malicious. With heuristics, there is always a potential risk for a "False Positive" when the heuristic analysis flags a file as suspicious or infected that contains no malware. Reducing the detection sensitivity will minimize the risk but then that increases the possibility for new malware to infect your system.

See How AVG Heuristic Analysis Works.

Get a second opinion, by submitting the file to jotti's virusscan or virustotal.com. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 jpmaurice

jpmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Hello Quietman

AVG resident shield quotes "while opening file c:/windows/system32/cscuit.dll" which should be the file you refer to.
This mentioned file (cscuit.dll) is like welded in my sytem and impossible to move - to copy - or to delete it.

I re´nstalled the complete set of AVG and did scan my system in safe modus and in normal modus.

Now I get again messages from AVG resident shield quote "while opening c:/windows/system32/cscuit.dll trojan BHO.CVX" is detected.

Still cscuit.dll its impossible to move/copy/or delete the mentioned dll file.

The file is 102KB large and dates from 25 oct 2007 - last opened at this moment.

I tried jotti's where this file was stated as : The file you uploaded is 0 bytes. It is very likely a firewall or a piece of malware is prohibiting you from uploading this file.
At virustotal I got : 0 bytes size received / Se ha recibido un archivo vacio.

Both due to the immobility of the file.

Thanks for your time.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 07:55 AM

The Bho.cvx Trojan can be difficult to remove because it is protected by a driver which loads much earlier than most actions taken to delete. Further, the Trojan is often accompanied by other .dll files which need to be identified and removed. Successful removal also requires identification of the CLSID (unique id number) associated with the BHO and use of specialized fix tools.

Please read the pinned topic titled "Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log". In step #9 there are instructions for downloading HijackThis and creating a log. (This is a self-extracting version which will automatically install HJT in the proper location.) If using Windows Vista, be sure to Run As Administrator.

When you have done that, post your log in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, NOT here, for assistance by the HJT Team Experts. A member of the Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer. If you post your log back in this thread, the response from the HJT Team will be delayed because your post will have to be moved. This means it will fall in line behind any others posted that same day.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. Please include the top portion of the HijackThis log that lists version information. An expert will analyze your log and reply with instructions advising you what to fix. After doing this, we would appreciate if you post a link to your log back here so we know that your getting help from the HJT Team.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

#5 jpmaurice

jpmaurice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

Thanks -
New topic made in the requered forum - LOGS @ malware

Kind regards.
JPMaurice

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,751 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:19 PM

Your hijackthis log is posted here.

After posting a log you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If after 5 days you still have received no response, then post a link to your HJT log in the thread titled "Haven't Had A Reply In Five Days?".

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team. If you still need assistance after your log has been reviewed and you have been cleared, please PM me or another moderator and we will re-open this topic.

Thanks for your cooperation and good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users