Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Cannot Use Laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mojobrad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:17 AM

As soon as I turned my laptop on I knew that I had a problem because it made a continuous noise.

When I got to the security screen Ctrol Alt Del worked to get to the password.

There was still a bleeping noise.

My laptop wouldn't accept my password. It seemed that the letter a wasn't recognised at all. There are two a's in my password. But then when I tried to log in later it seeemed like lots of letter were being put into the password automatically.

I tried to boot up in safe mode but I could just get into the BIOS (too technocal for me) or a boot screen offering me to boot for 1 hard drive 2 floppy 3 CD ROM or BIOS.

Can anyone help? Or will I have to reformat do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:14 AM

Hi there, mojobrad, welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Is it a constant, rapid beeping? It may be that one or more of your keys are stuck.

Check your keyboard for keys that don't "spring back" like they normally would when you press them.

If/when you find a stuck key, try to loosen it by tapping on it and jiggling it; check that there aren't any obstructions or dirt in between keys and such.

(I do everything at the computer: eat, sleep, smoke, drink coffee, etc. and my keyboard needs constant cleaning or it will start to stick).

#3 mojobrad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:37 PM

Hi Amazing Andrew

Yes it is a contstant rapid bleeping.

I can't see which keey is stuck. I've had a little clean around with a paper clip. But now I can't even get past the Ctrl Alt Del part of it. So it seems that those keys aren't working at all now. I blame the paper clip.

I'll keep on keeping on and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help.

#4 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:06 PM

Also try removing the memory modules the putting them back in one at a time
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 mojobrad

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Ok I've done all of that.

I couldn't find any sticking keys as such but I did clean up the keyboard a bit.

I also removed the memory and put it back in.

The beeping noise has now stopped so some chage there. But now the keyboard doesn't seem to be recognised at all. So I can't use the F2 or any other F key.

Nor can I use the Ctrl Alt Del to log in.

I can't help but feel that this laptop is knackered.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by mojobrad, 23 December 2007 - 06:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users