Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Disable Error Reporting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:05 AM

Hey guys, I found this tip on the Internet on hwo to disable error reporting. This tip is good if you are constantly reciveing error reports because of some sort of computer problem you are experiencing or if you think they can get anoying or just never send them. Here it is:

1. Open Control Panel
2. Click on Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click on System.
4. Then click on the Advanced tab
5. Click on the error-reporting button on the bottom of the windows.
6. Select Disable error reporting.
7. Click OK
8. Click OK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 AM

Nice one!

I think I would actually use the error reporting feature if there were a little box to type in my feelings about the error for the MS techs to read :thumbsup:

#3 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

Thanks, it's a good one! :thumbsup:
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:35 PM

Yeah, that is right Amazing Andrew, I would use error reporting if I was able to write a comment.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

Error reporting works quite well - but it's limited by what it's given (GIGO). And, despite all the good input given by those who do submit - there's just too many variables out there to make it a science. I've used it successfully a couple of times - but many other times it just wasn't worth it (to me).

FWIW - in Vista is seems to work better (but that's a whole 'nother rant).

Generally, if you don't get anything back, it's the Microsoft computer saying "Beats the snot outta me". If you do get anything back, it's likely to refer to the specifics of the particular STOP message - and may even refer to a particular driver. But, having screened many dump logs myself - it's not always that file that's specified that's at fault.

These are all just clues on the direction that the troubleshooting should take - eliminating this one method will cut back on the info that you "may" have to make a decision (if it does return anything). Or you can just analyze your own dump files and leave them out of the equation.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Linkman101

Linkman101

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:04 AM

i disabled it through vista its different but thx any way
Joshua Gretzmier

#7 sasuke0315

sasuke0315

• Members