Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Mr814v2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chasgallo

chasgallo

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:40 PM

Have had this wireless connection for close to three years. Have had a few problems in the past, but was always able to fix them. The method used in the past was to go to the remote desk top computer that has the adapter plugged in, click on the netgear icon, view available wireless networks, (follow instructions) and conduct the fix from there. Always worked.
However, now when I click on the netgear icon and select the task to view wireless networks, nothing shows up. It is just a blank window. I used to click on the Netgear network there, follow my notes (I typed out the steps I followed after clicking on the netgear selection when it showed up in the window), and it always fixed the issues. Again, it is not showing up in the window. Not sure my question is easy to follow, but does anyone know why it does not show up there or how I can get it to show there???, or does anyone know another way to get it there...?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 05:51 AM

I never had much luck with the Netgear software. It would disconnect sporadically.

As long as you are running Windows XP, I would uninstall it completely and let Windows search for all available wireless networks or use the Wireless setup wizard in the control panel. (You can disable your SSID broadcast for added security)

DR

#3 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the response. Do run windows Xp......what wireless home office solution would you recommend?

Thanks for the response. Do run windows Xp......what wireless home office solution would you recommend?

#4 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:51 PM

The Netgear or Linksys routers are fine for families or home networks. Just don't use their software.

Windows XP has a wireless connection wizard located in the Control Panel. You can run that to connect to your router, after you have installed it. Before you do that though, you usually need to connect a computer with a cable directly to the router in order to access it (usually through a Web interface) and configure the Wireless settings.

Wireless settings require an SSID, which is the name of your wireless network. You can set that to broadcast the SSID or not. I prefer to NOT have it broadcast the SSID. (that way, most people will not even know you exist)

The next step, within the router, is to configure the type of security. Some people use WAP and others use WEP. Doesn't really matter which you use as long as you use something. I prefer the 128-bit WEP.

Then, you will need to either create a network key or generate a key. In either case, you need to write down that key in order to enter it into the proper place when you are setting up the workstation (or laptop).

I hope this explains what you wanted to know.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

DR

#5 chasgallo

chasgallo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thanks again...

Perhaps my questions were not easy to understand. I have been running the Netgear 814v2 for 3 years or so. We have the connections...just for the past week its very slow. Even on the PC that the router is connected to.
The laptop is slow, and the other PC is also very slow, just when connected to the internet.
When on the other pc, that has the Netgear adapter in it......it appears to pick up another set up or something... when I click on site survey, it had another address, then under it is Netgear. I highlighted netgear and applied it. Too early to tell if it helped, because what is happening is things run fine for a few hours, then slow down as the day goes on..just within the past week or so. I get around it, by unplugging my modem and router and then starting them up again after a minute wait or so and things are fine. I have had my Isp in here (Comcast) and he says everything is fine on their end. Also when I disconnect the router and plug comcast into my ethernet port directly, speed is great, so we have zeroed the problem to the router
But still when I right click to open up available networks on the other pc, none show up. I used to see Netgear there and then could run a fix program, and all was well.
I finally found the cd installations, and think that I am going to redo the set up process on the pc not wired to the router and see if it helps.
Sorry for all my confusing explanations, and appreciate your help and responses.

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Try pinging google continually.

Go to Start>Run and type in CMD and hit OK. Then, type in the DOS box:

ping -t google.com (don't forget the spaces between g and - as well as the space between t and g)

This will set up a continual ping. You should see the packets getting delivered in a few milliseconds or so. Let it run for a few minutes and watch it carefuilly.

What I have seen is that a bad modem or router can drop packets. If you see "Request Timed Out", those are dropped packets. That can be due to a bad modem or router. It can also come from the signal strength being too high going into the modem. If you come in with cable and go to a distribution center, the signal can be increased more than the modem can handle.

At what a router costs today, it is best to make certain everything is in good condition.

I have had 2 Netgear routers and neither lasted more than 2 years before dieing. Maybe it's getting ready for that?

Good luck.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users