Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Gives Me Stop Error Everytime I Try To Install Anything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jazzyul23

jazzyul23

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

I am running WinXP Home SP2, dual core amd 4600+, seagate 300 gb hard drive, asus m2n4-sli motherboard and had to do a system restore. Since then I cannot install anything because everytime I try I get a blue screen stop error and then the screen turns black and says disk boot error. when I turn it off and turn it back on it works again but still cannot install anything. I don't know much about computers and the friend that did the restore (this will be third time he had to do it), he said it might be that I need a new hard drive. I do not know for sure. I can't even install drivers, internet security apps or anything.
"Only when we have lost everything are we free to do anything."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karthik upadhya

karthik upadhya

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:16 AM

Hey....

Try reinstalling windows xp...

If that solves problems, u wont be needing a new harddisk

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:15 AM

Next time you get a stop error copy it down and post it back here. That will give us some idea of what the problem is.

Some general hardware tests you can run are:
  • Test the memory with memtest86.
  • Test the hard drive by going to the manufacturer's website and downloading their diagnostic tool.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:27 PM

If you have an XP CD (not recovery CDs, not drivers CDs), I would suggest trying to run chkdsk /r, but Budapest has already suggested a manufacturer's diagnostic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users