Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble With My Cd/dvd Drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ca_irish_fan

ca_irish_fan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:52 PM

i'm having trouble with my cd/dvd drive...whenever i put a disc into it and close it you hear a jerking noise. is this worth repairing and any idea how much it would be to repair. thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:35 PM

Does it still read disks?

Dont bother repairing it. Replace it. CDRW/DVD drives are cheap. 60 bucks or so.
Regular DVD drives are only about 40
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 ca_irish_fan

ca_irish_fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:50 PM

no, you just heard a jerking noise. how do i replace it with a new one?

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:47 AM

Well maybe something in the drive has become loose and it is bumping something while the disc is going into the drive? Also does the jerk sound serious or like it is hitting something? Also, if you want to replace the DVD Drive then purchase one that you would like, (whatever fits your budget and does what you need it to do. I.E. Play DVD's burn CD's or Burn DVD's and CD's etc.) then once you have it, you need to unscrew the case and get inside the tower (the box) then disconnect the cables connected to the drive (Make sure it is the DVD Drive and not your Hard Drive!) and then unscrew the screws holding up the DVD Drive and then you should be able to take it out of the computer. Now, do the backwards process for installing the new DVD Drive. Mount the DVD Drive into the same place where your old one was and then screw it into place, then connect the cables back in and then close up the computers case, and there you go, it should be useable now. But, if you dont feel comfortable doing this yourself, then take it to your local computer store and they shouldn't charge you much to install it for you, especially if thats where you bought the new drive from. Or alternatively you could get someone who knows how to install one to do it for you. I know this was a lot of information but I hope this helps you a lot! :thumbsup:

Edited by dgraziani28, 21 December 2007 - 01:52 AM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Adding a drive is simple, as david28 mentioned. I just wanted to add you have to install the small plastic jumper, located on the back of the new drive, to the same position as the old drive
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:26 PM

Oh yeah thanks Garmanma, forgot about the jumper cable.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,365 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 09:45 PM

david28's description of the jumper being a cable is not correct, you can see one in this illustration.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ca_irish_fan

ca_irish_fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2007 - 05:00 PM

thank you all for your help...a buddy was able to help me!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users