Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confusing Message On Start Up.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:51 PM

For two or three days now the following message is received each time on Starting Up.

"Instruction @ OX557f7f81
reference memory @ OX0000f7c8
Memory could not be "read"

then 'Cancel to debug the programme"

This appears in a box exactly as above. Before this appears, the computer makes an abnormal 'surging' sound not previously experienced.

After I have 'cancelled' this I get another message saying there is a 'generic host process problem etc. and asking me to send an error report to Microsoft.

This second message does appear from time to time, but the first message is totally new.

I hope someone will be able to advise me on this, and I send my thanks in anticipation.

regards.
John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:19 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at start up.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at start up right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:16 AM

Thank you for you help Budapest.

There are many Error Signs (Red Circle/White Cross) under APPLICATION starting three/four days ago and no doubt one for every time I log on. Some say Application Error and some Application Hang. Categary is None.

Under the SECURITY section there is nothing but in the SYSTEM department these errors have SERVICE MANAGER origin.

I hope I have given you all the info needed, but if not I shall obviously be happy to look again.

Thank you.
John

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:23 AM

If you find an error that occurred at start up right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:24 AM

I am sorry I omitted to say that on Right Clicking I was told to contact the Microsoft Help and Support Centre. The ref was Fault Bucket 07918338.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 06:27 AM

Does it say what the Faulting application was and is there a Event ID listed?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 07:51 AM

Event numbers are all either 1001/2 or 4.

Other notes are that the WIA service hung or terminated on starting.

Please forgive me but I am a reall duffer with comps!

Thanks for your patience and help.

Edited by John in Oman, 21 December 2007 - 07:52 AM.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:16 AM

Try this:

Go Start > Run and type "services.msc".

Then scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition. Right-click on it and select Properties. Where it says Startup Type change it to Manual.

Then reboot your computer and see if that has any effect.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

Thank you Budapest. Will try that when I get back later on.

#10 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:08 AM

Good News Budapest!.. That seems to have done the trick. The comp is still firing up like a F1 car, which it has not done before, but there are no agravating pop ups.

Is it OK to ask you for help on another subject or do I go through the proper channels? I will ask anyway! A few months ago I lost the sound completely and although I have downloaded the latest media player a few times since it makes no difference. Pictures no problem but not a thing from the sound department Yes I have checked all the usual things! Tell me what info you need and i shall try to provide it.

It is not quite the same thing watching Vladimir Horowitz on a silent DVD!

Many thanks. I really appreciate your help.
Sincerely
John

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:39 AM

The noise you can here is probably the cooling fan(s). They tend to get louder as they get clogged with dust. It's always a good idea to clean them now and then. The following article gives good advice on how to do this.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

As for the sound - make sure that the volume is not muted. Go Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices. Check all the different settings to make sure that the volume isn't muted or turned down to the lowest setting.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:45 AM

I have checked and it says there is no audio device - bizarre!

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

Check your devices in Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Do you see any audio device there? If so, is there a "X" or "!" symbol next to it?

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:25 PM

Thank you. There is none, but for the Multimedia Audio Controller there is a yellow?. In that box it asks me if I want to reinstall - Dare I do this? Two other items, Audio Codec and Media Control are fine and working OK.

Regards from Oman.
John

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:37 AM

Yes, try to reinstall it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users