Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winxp Home Bsod Loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalFool

DigitalFool

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Hi Friends!

I've been working on a friends computer for days trying to fix this BSOD loop issue. I'm confident I know what to do, but the darn thing is so stubborn.

Essentially, I think that the ntfs.sys file system is totally corrupt. My friend was installing a game when this happened and I'm assuming the hard drive ran out of space. I can't boot into any mode...PERIOD. I've tried the handy dandy Ultimate Boot Disk, it never will load. I've taken the IDE drive out and set it slave in another computer, doesn't recognize in OS (it does in the BIOS). I've tried lots of utils like SpinDisc and nothing finds any failures or faults with the integrity of the drive.

I've read various forums that CHKDSK has solved their issue, or at least most of them. Unfortunately, when I put the OS disk in and choose R for repair, it doesn't make it to the DOS prompt, it gets stuck at 'examining 29322 MB Disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi...' still on the blue windows setup screen.

So, does anyone have any idea of any tools/freeware etc. that will allow me to boot off a floppy or something to run a simple CHKDSK? I can't seem to find anything that simple.

Thanks for any help.

dF

Here is BSOD error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, resart your computer. If this appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk dfragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run Chkdsk /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902F8, 0xf7956810, 0xf7956510, 0xf73bd857)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

I've had a corrupt file system (NTFS) and the only way I found to overcome it was a clean install. Chances are, if XP is not giving you a message advising of such, it's not that.

If you really want to run chkdsk on the drive, simply remove it from the parent system, attach it as a secondary drive to a known good system...and run the chkdsk. I would run chkdsk /r.

I'm curious about your statement about running out of HD space. Should not even be debateable, since all one has to do is check the free space when attaching that drive to another system.

If the drive is properly recognized in the BIOS...but does not appear in Disk Management, you have a problem. If it appears in DM but does not appear in My Computer, then you probably need to try changing the drive letter assigned the drive...in the lower portion of the DM console on the second system.

If the drive appears in DM but reflects no formatting/partition...time to try recovery tools.

And you can always download a disk diagnostic from the HD manufacturer's website to check the disk.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 20 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#3 DigitalFool

DigitalFool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:19 PM

Running out of HD space was just a thought - I've tried to run it on a secondary system and Disk Management doesn't show it in Windows...that is the quandry (so I could at least get some of his documents, and no, this college student didn't backup). I'm stubborn, I never want to reformat (and it's not even mine!) :thumbsup:

I think I just found a freeware CHKDSK tool that I can load on a floppy with FreeDOS. Hope it works!

dF

Edited by DigitalFool, 20 December 2007 - 08:19 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 08:39 PM

If the drive doesn't show in DM, it may be toast.

You did check the jumpers, right? I use C/S settings (most new drives are at C/S when they ship) but some prefer to use the old Master/Slave thing. On some systems, that matters.

Louis

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:56 AM

Some information on the BSOD from here:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

More information here:

Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users