Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Crashing At Boot..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mahdii

Mahdii

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:08 PM

Disclaimer..
This is my first time on these forums, or any tech support forums.. I've used most of these forums before and solved my problem without having to make a post, but now I feel I need some personalized help.

The Background:

I recently had an infection with VirtuMonde (Vundo) and after some research I cleaned it successfully (or so I thought) with VundoFix, AdAware 2007, and AVG Free Edition. Everything was running fast, I had my internet back and all was well. 1 day later my computer rebooted itself and I slept through my now non-existent super loud computer alarm clock. Bummer, was late for work.

The Problem:

Every time I boot my computer now, I get the standard error on startup message that asks you to select to either boot from Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Command Prompt. Regular safe mode fails to boot, and crashes me at the windows XP loading screen (black background, logo, loading bar) as well as Safe Mode with Networking.

I have no idea where to start with this aside from a lengthy reformat. Is there anything I can do from a command prompt to solve this or at least see what could be causing it?

Thank you so much,
Annoyed

Edited by Mahdii, 20 December 2007 - 06:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

Well, it's my belief (certainly not knowledge) that most persons who get system infections and then "self-clean"....probably haven't done what it takes to ensure a clean system.

Some leave system restore on, some just don't understand how intricate/cumbersome some malware items are...I don't know.

My only suggestion would be to post in the portion of this website which is designed to help those with malware problems.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Louis

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 21 December 2007 - 04:25 AM

There are some suggestions here:

10 things you can do when Windows XP won't boot
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users